Valued Contributor

Re: Do you remember a spice cake from A&P grocers?

My mom used to buy this cake at the A&P when I was a kid.  I was honestly never a fan but I don't remember why!?   On the other hand, I did like the Jane Parker fruit cakes.

Contributor

I remember it well and loved it. I am in my 80s, 

Valued Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Hoping you & all the others see my reply before forums close!

I just did a Google search and found several recipes for the Spanish Bar Cake!  I clearly remember it since my Mom always purchased it in the 60's when we went grocery shopping at A&P.

Since there were several recipes listed I did not look closely at them and I did not want to pick just one of them to post.  But you can access them using the following Google (or any search engine) search:

Recipes for Jane Parker Spanish Bar Cake

Be sure to check them all for possible varying ingredients and reviews.  And then you can try making every one! 😃😃😃

Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971, thanks....but I have the recipe and have made it 3 or 4 times since I discovered it.....it's a wonderful recipe. My question was more to those who had tasted it, or who had parents that maybe bought it at their A&P store. I didn't grow up with one of their stores around me, so I wasn't familiar with the cake at all. Since I first made it, both hubby and I love it - I'm so glad I found it! I didn't post the recipe earlier, but if anyone is interested (and since the Forum is shutting down), here is the recipe I found. I made 1/2 of the recie for the 2 of us and used two small loaf pans):

A&P Spice Cake/Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 TBSP cocoa powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp allspice

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 eggs

1 cup raisins (plumped in hot water, drained)

Mix dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and beat/mix together.

Fold in raisins last.

Note: I add 1/2 cup applesauce since I thought the batter was dry.

Spray 9x13 pan or 2 large loaf pans. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes depending on the pan you use. Check with toothpick for doneness.

Let cool completely and then frost:

Cream Cheese frosting

4 oz cream cream, softened

2 Tbsp soft butter

2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, vanilla and butter together. Add powder sugar  and mix together until smooth. Spread or drizzle over cake(s).

This cake is delicious, especially if you like the spicey cakes/loaves.

Valued Contributor

@jannabelle1 

Didn't know if your's is same version or different than the others out there so wanted to post so everyone can take a look at recipes.  I'm thinking of attempting it now that you brought memories back! 😀😋  I do have a sweet tooth! 😄