Honored Contributor

Re: Do you make cutesy holiday recipes?

@mustang66lady wrote:

@KingstonsMom 

I saw this recipe years and years ago in Taste of Home and always wanted to make them but never took the time.  I'm so glad someone makes them and says they are a hit.   Maybe this year will be the year?  Who knows?!

@mustang66lady 

They taste basically like a shortbread type cookie and are really simple to make!

I've been making them for years and don't remember where I first saw them for sure, but I'm thinking on the Today Show, close to Halloween.

The recipe I use (above) is from Taste of Home though!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I made a literbox cake for my SO's sister's birthday.  She has 5 cats.

Honored Contributor

@Pook  the litter box is funny (gross too) with little tootsie rolls on top! The one time I saw it, someone used a new litter scoop as the serving spoon.

It's also funny to look at what these recipes look like when made by the average person. Epic Fails are what the worst could be called.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw a cute thing with black olives ,and cream cheese ,and  a carrot slice. You made them into penguins ,and I made this for a church event

You  cut a slice from an  an olive and fill it with cream cheese. Then you top the olive, with another olive ,but lay it on it's side. You take a slice of carrot in put it in the hole for it's beak

Them you take a carrot slice with a wedge cut out, and this is the feet

Esteemed Contributor

No, that feet loaf sounds funny though. 

Esteemed Contributor

For Christmas

at one job I had I put chocolate covered raisins in ziplock bags and put on a printed label

"You've been bad, so here's the scoop

all you get is reindeer poop"

the ladies loved it!

Honored Contributor

Nope.

When my kids were little, I made a few cute birthday cakes and cupcakes, and perhaps I'll be inspired to do that for grandchildren one day. However, for the most part, I like simple food. Those over-the-top fondant cakes I see on some baking shows turn me off completely.

Some of the things Tara's (Temptations) food stylists come up with, for instance,  are a hot mess, in my opinion.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Honestly?  Halloween is NOT a holiday in my house, so not in October.

But slight yes on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  We now have a 3 yr. old granddaughter who really enjoys the cutesy stuff.  Bunny Cakes etc etc.  Until she was old enough, not even then.

It has to be easy though....like the Thanksgiving Turkey made of fruit, upside-down Gingerbread cut outs...made into Rudolph...easy ones like that!

Esteemed Contributor

When my oldest DD was young, yes, I did make cutesy things for her to take to school.  By the time my second DD came along, schools were going to the individual wrapped from a bakery/store treats.  I have made bunnies out of sweet dough for Easter, cupcakes, cookies, etc. that were themed for the holiday.  I made a dirt cake for a family reunion one time that upset one of my aunts dearly.   She wanted that pot of "dirt" off the table with the food!  I was shocked by what she said-after all it was new flower pot and had silk flowers in it.  When I told her the "dirt" was ground up Oreos and that the entire presentation was a dessert, she eased up but it took a few servings before she realized what was done.  I even bought a new trowel to serve the dessert with!

As my grandson get older, I have made all kinds of birthday cakes for him and his half brother thru the years.  Now they are both older, that too, is gone.  I have made baby shower cakes and bridal shower cakes but I hold the line there.  I'm not doing wedding cakes-I like to stick with the cute and quirky!

Honored Contributor

I've done these with my grandsons.

See the source image