Honored Contributor

Do you have restaurant supply houses where you live?

In our area it is Gordon Foods, out of Michigan.  If you have never visited one of these places, give one a try.  At Gordon Foods the public is invited, not just restaurant owners.  You will be surprised at what they carry.  I just got a huge bag of green peppers, actually grown in the USA, for 8.49.  I chop and freeze them for chili and spaghetti sauce.  Bananas are only 33 cents a pound.  There is a huge variety of specialty soups and desserts.  Although I get most of my spices at Penzey's, I do get restaurant grind pepper and taco seasoning at Gordon's because we go through so much. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have restaurant supply houses where you live?

@depglass I love GFS!  Even though it's just me I find all sorts of things (like Kosher salt) and serving/cleaning products.  If I have room in the freezer, their frozen veggies are delicious and if you are planning a party of any type this is the place to go for all your needs.  When I still entertained they have a couple of delicious breakfast casseroles and trays of great entrees.  The two by my house are well staffed and very friendly and are looking to also cater to smaller amounts (the one by me lets you buy just a couple of bananas, potatoes and other produce).

Esteemed Contributor

I'll hhave to make the trip to check them out. I wasn't aware they carried fresh produce.  I'm always on the hunt for locally grown produce.

My lastest find has been shopping at the Mennonite bulk stores. A small store not far from me and I ventured to a larger store in Snover, east of Saginaw, heading for the thumb. OMG, the prices were amazing! So worth the trip.

I also tried fresh farm eggs. Large eggs, 79cents/doz. You can meet "the girls" if you ask. 😊

Honored Contributor

We do have a restaurant supply but it only carries equipment - no food.  Great source for restaurant quality baking sheets, utensils, pans, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have a well here in upstate New York. From last spring through the summer we suffered through a serious drought. I avoided using the dishwasher so I bought paper hot cups from our local restaurant supply store. I'm grateful that we were able to use those cups and save water. 

Respected Contributor

There are a couple of Gordon Foods stores in my town, and I've shopped there a few times, but for someone who lives alone, is rarely home, doesn't cook much and doesn't entertain, buying in bulk isn't really a good choice. I know that my church buys things like hot cups, napkins, coffee, etc. from there. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We have Restaurant Depot here. It's fun to look around, but you need a coat in the refrigerator section, it is so cold.

We also have the stores that sell restaurant supplies. I can't leave there without buying some kitchen supplies.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

We have Restaurant Depot here. It's fun to look around, but you need a coat in the refrigerator section, it is so cold.

We also have the stores that sell restaurant supplies. I can't leave there without buying some kitchen supplies.

@proudlyfromNJ I wandered into a Restaurant Depot once and what a find!  I was completely in the way as there were forklifts flying around getting products to restaurant customers so they took pity on me and let me check out without a card/membership(?) with my stainless steel skimmer . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

DiAnne wrote:

We do have a restaurant supply but it only carries equipment - no food.  Great source for restaurant quality baking sheets, utensils, pans, etc.  

Same here.   The one here (can't remember the name) also rented out equipment and I've used them before, for affairs where I needed stuff like those big buffet warmers (or whatever you call them-sorry).