Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you have a signature cookie recipe to share?

Cutout Sugar Cookies

3 cups butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup conf. sugar

2 tbsp. vanilla

pinch of salt

3 eggs

6 cups of flour

Cream the butter until fluffy, occ scraping down the sides of the bowl.  Add both sugars and continue beating until light about 2min.  Add the vanilla, eggs and salt until incorporated.  Slowly add the flour until fully blended in.

Divide the dough into about 5 equal amts and roll each amt between two pieces of waxed paper about 1/4 inch thick or desired thickness.  Stack all the layers on a flat cookie sheet and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hrs.

When ready to bake preheat oven to 325*

Peel off the top layer of waxed paper and cut your dough with cookie cutters.  Use a spatula to lift the cut dough off the bottom piece of waxed paper.

Place cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned on edges.  Mine are always done at 15 min.

Cool on wire racks.

This dough is very rich, so always keep it cold till ready to cut out.  I reroll the scrapes of dough between some clean wax paper and let it get chilled again.

These cookies are my go to cutouts and are so delicious.

I frost the cookies with a fluffy buttercream.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

you can store thenm in any cookie tin w/tight fitting lid  - just dont store them with moist cookies

the moistness will make the  laced cookies be more chewy than crispy - 

still will be good but not their intention

when I give out goodie bags - all the cookies can play together - I'm not a monster

the chociolate oozes out of the tiny holes - so only put a little and slide the cookies against ieach other to make them stick against each oterh- it is NOT supposed to be a thick filling but more like a glue

I do hope u try them - they are not my favorite although most are in awe of them

I love biscotti - bc I know how much butta is in all the other cookies lol

Super Contributor

This recipe is from the NY Times from many years ago.  It is my favorite cookie.  It's not difficult, but definitely time-consuming (especially if you are making triple or quadruple the batch!).

Swedish “S” Cookies

Molly O'Neill

• Yield About 64 cookies
  • Time About 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes' defrosting

Ingredients

• 1 cup cool butter, cut into chunks
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 egg, well beaten
  • 2 ½ cups flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup toasted, ground pecans (I used chopped walnuts)
  •  

Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, flour and salt. Stir well to combine. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using a cookie press with the star design, press dough onto the sheet in an "s" shape about 1 1/2 inches long. Repeat, placing cookies 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges are barely golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
  2. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips. Dip one end of each cookie into the chocolate and then into the ground pecans. Return to the rack to dry. Cookies can be frozen in an airtight container, with wax paper between each layer for up to 6 months. Defrost 30 minutes before serving.
Regular Contributor

Toffee Squares with Hershey Chocolate Bar Icing

1 cup butter

1cup brown sugar

1egg

1tsp. Vanilla

2cups sifted flour

1/2 tsp. Salt

1/2 chopped nuts

6 Hershey Chocolate candy bars

Cream butter and sugar;  add egg and mix well.  Add vanilla and flour mixed with salt.

Spread evenly in greased 10x15 jelly roll pan.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes until delicately browned.  Remove from oven and lay approximately 6 Hershey Chocolate candy bars on cookies. Spread when melted. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.  Cut into bars.

Trusted Contributor

@sward05 That is one evil recipe!Smiley Happy

Sounds beyond delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

Quick & easy.....

1-2-3 Sugar Cookies

1 cup SUGAR
1 tsp VANILLA
2 EGGS
2 sticks BUTTER (unsalted is best)
3 cups self rising FLOUR

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time.
Chill. Roll out and cut in desired shapes.

Ice when cool.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, Renata.  They are very easy to make.  Have had them every Christmas since I was a little girl and am now carrying on the tradition