Honored Contributor

Do you have a favorite pancake recipe?

We are having pancakes, sausage and applesauce for dinner tonight. 

I use the heart healthy Bisquick recipe, add some vanilla and an extra egg.

How do you guys make your pancakes? mix or from scratch?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite pancake recipe?

Sounds yummy!

Honored Contributor

I have always used the basic pancake mix from my Betty Crocker cookbook, but cut back on the milk, add a few tablespoons of melted butter, with either a splash of vanilla or almond flavoring.  

I have also used this basic mix, stirred in chunky applesauce, melted butter, and flavoring, using only a drizzle of milk to get the pouring consistency just right.   

For me, the less milk in the pancake, the better, so I have also made them with Sprite and even ginger ale.  They were fine for me, but I'm not much into pancakes.   

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do have a favorite pancake recipe! Betty Crocker!

I rarely have buttermilk on hand, so generally use the vinegar & milk substitute:

Put 1 Tablespoons vinegar into a measuring cup, & add milk to equal 1 Cup, stir, & let sit for a few minutes.

Favorite Pancakes from Betty Crocker

*I always (at least) double this recipe.*

Ingredients:

1 egg

1 Cup buttermilk

2 Tablespoons melted butter (vegetable oil is fine)

1 Cup flour

1 Tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Beat eggs, add remaining ingredients in order listed, & stir gently until almost smooth.

Grease heated griddle.

To make sure your griddle or skillet is hot enough, sprinkle w/ a few drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, the pan is just right.

Pour the batter onto the griddle.

Pancakes are ready to turn as soon as they're puffed and are full of bubbles, but before the bubbles break.

Flip & cook the other side until golden.

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

I always like to add some walnuts or almonds to whatever batter I am using, then sprinkle a few more on top. I also use Walden Farms pancake syrup(served warmed). It is "everything" free, yet doesn't taste too bad at all. Good trade off for all the sugar, fat, sodium and whatever else can be found in other syrups.

Hugs.

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

I use and love love love King Arthur flour Pumpkin Pancake mix. It is sooooo good. I put apple sauce on it and have sausages too.  Yum. 

Honored Contributor

DH rode over to visit our Amish neighbor he has become friends with.He came back with a bag of strawberries, so we had them sliced instead of the applesauce. Totally delicious dinner.

Honored Contributor

Always from scratch.  I even know it is on page 72 in my Betty Crocker cookbook from the early 1950's.

Esteemed Contributor

Always from scratch here too, buttermilk and throw in some seasonal fruits for a change, we really like the blueberry ones!

Honored Contributor

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup soy milk

1-2 bananas

Blend, cook, eat!