Honored Contributor

Do you guys ever make Wine or Meade?

My brother-in-law used to make his own beer but I'm watching "This Old House" and the guy is making something called Meade?  I've never heard of it.

I know people who make some kind of wine just for them.  I don't drink it so I have no idea?  Have you guys ever had any of this?

It's fascinating what he goes through and does.  He's actually using sanitized marbles for something!  Seems like a lot of work to me!

Respected Contributor

Re: Do you guys ever make Wine or Meade?

My grandpa used to and he put a balloon on top of the bottle.  I have no idea why and I was too young to even have a sip.  I’ve had mead wine, but haven’t made it.  It’s made from water and honey.  That sounds pretty easy to make.  

Honored Contributor

Mead is an ancient alcoholic drink.  Kind of a fermented honey wine/beer.  I didn't realize people were still making it today.

My brother-in-law made his own wine years ago just as a novelty but he never kept it up.  

Trusted Contributor

I've tried it and it was really good. I think my friend bought a kit to make it at a local home brew shop. I should try making it, it's been so long I couldn't describe it.

Valued Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

My grandpa used to and he put a balloon on top of the bottle.  I have no idea why and I was too young to even have a sip.  I’ve had mead wine, but haven’t made it.  It’s made from water and honey.  That sounds pretty easy to make.  

I could be wrong but I'd assume the balloon was a way to gauge the fermentation process?

Honored Contributor

My son makes fruit wines. I pick many pounds of blackberries and freeze them for him. It is quite good but can deliver a kick!! I'll ask him about making meade--it's very good.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@NorthernLights wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

I could be wrong but I'd assume the balloon was a way to gauge the fermentation process?

By monitoring/gauging the amount of gas build-up, causing the balloon to expand, perhaps?

Trusted Contributor

Have made both wine and beer. Meade is a Honey Wine.