Respected Contributor

Do you Make Home Made Italian Beef?

Would be interested in a great recipe to make Italian Beef.

I took one off the internet and it was an epic fail, at least to me.

I used a rump roast, maybe that was the issue, didn't have a lot of flavor, slow cooker, and it wasn't "good".

If you go to Portillo's their beef is "not tough" and full of flavor.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you Make Home Made Italian Beef?

[ Edited ]

I make my brother's recipe using a chuck roast made in a Crockpot:

3 cups beef broth

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

1 tsp onion salt

1 tsp parsley flakes

1 tsp garlic powder

1 bay leaf

2 .7-oz packets Italian salad dressing mix

3 1/2 lb chuck roast

Stir everything but beef in saucepan and bring to boil.  

Place roast in Crockpot and pour hot mixture over meat.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove bay leaf and shred meat.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My best and favorite recipe is Go to Portillo's* 😁.

Seriously, if not, here is a recipe to try....I have had it for years but not tried yet....why...because Portillo's is so convenient ...haha...dinner in a box....lazy me!   I'm leaving this recipe out as a reminder....fix it!

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwich

2-3 lb. beef bottom round or eye of round roast

1 (32 oz) box of beef broth

1/2 teaspoon 

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 (.70 oz) pkg. Italian salad dressing mix

Place beef roast in slow cooker, fat side up.  Pour broth into a saucepan and add all other ingredients.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  Pour broth mixture over the roast.  Cover and cook on high 8-10 hours.  If possible, turn roast over after 5-6 hours.

Before serving, flip roast again and scrape off any visible fat.  Remove the roast from slow cooker, place in large bowl and using two forks shred the roast.  Return beef back to the broth in slow cooker.  Serve on Italian rolls with peppers, if desired.  Serves 6-8.

* Portillo's is a Chicago area restaurant.  Since sold I understand new owners are expanding to other areas.  A friend told me recently there is one in Detroit suburbs.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling 

This is the recipe I have made several times.

I use chuck.

I don't always use Coke since I rarely have Pop in the house...just skip it.

I do cook it WITH the jarred roasted red peppers, patted dry, the pepperochini and the Giardiniera .  I think it gives the meat fab flavor. 

I don't always serve this as sandwiches.

I try not to use dry soup mix, that's why I like this one with the other ingredients for flavor.

Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches

The Italian beef is seasoned to perfection with homemade Italian seasonings, slow cooked until fall-apart tender then piled on a toasted buns crowned cheese, pepperoncini and your favorite toppings. This Italian Beef Sandwich Recipe not only makes the easiest dinner, holiday or party food/Game Day food, but are a super fun (make ahead!) sandwich bar to feed a crowd!

Sandwiches

• 6 hoagie rolls                                                    12 thin slices provolone cheese or 6 regular
  • 1 16 oz. jar mild pepperoncini peppers/sliced pepper rings
  • jarred roasted red peppers, patted dry optional Giardiniera optional

Slow Cooker Italian Beef

• 3-5 lbs. beef chuck roast trimmed of excess fat 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
  • 1 14.5 oz. can low sodium beef broth                            1 cup Coke (Not diet)
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce                                       1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons dried minced onions                                1 tablespoon beef bouillon
  • 2 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried basil, dried parsley, garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp EACH salt, pepper, dried thyme
  • 1/3 cup pepperoncini juice (from pepperoncini jar listed above)
  •  
  • Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large cast iron skillet. Using tongs, sear meat on all sides until browned and transfer to a 6 qt. (or larger) slow cooker. Add all remaining roast ingredients to slow cooker and give them a stir. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours OR until roast is super tender and easily sheds with a fork.
  • Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours OR until roast is super tender and easily sheds with a fork.
  • Once tender, shred roast and discard excess fat. Continue to cook on low for 30 minutes for the roast to absorb some of the juices.
  • Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Split rolls and lay them cut side up on a large baking tray. Bake for 5 minutes to toast the buns.
  • Using tongs (or place meat in a colander over a bowl to drain juices), pile bottom side of buns with meat, followed by desired toppings (pepperoncini, roasted bell peppers, giardiniera etc.), followed by cheese. If using thinly sliced cheese, fold each slice in half and use two slices per hoagie. If using traditional slices, use one slice per hoagie. and cut each piece in half so it fits the shape of the bun.
  • Return baking tray to the oven (leaving both top and bottoms cut side up) and bake at 400 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately. You may serve the remaining liquid as a dip for the sandwiches, if desired.

Respected Contributor

No, I don't even know what it is.  I've never heard of Italian Beef.  

Honored Contributor

@KatieB ....it is good....thinly sliced beef in broth with seasonings served on Italian rolls....you heard it here first I guess!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife @deepwaterdotter @walker 

Thank you so very much!

I should of known better to buy chuck, the rump roast was a waste.

Dry and tough and I even sliced it on the slicer I have and got it paper thin.

Unreal!   Live and learn.   Should of asked first before I attempted at something I never made before.

Then today at Costoc, they have 2# container of italian beef and gravy in a tub frozen, that would of been better than what I did!

I agree though, should of just grabbed a sandwich from Portillo's.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with them, great chain.

Super Contributor

I've tried making home made Italian beef and just can't get it right.  I started ordering from Portillo's...they ship anywhere.  Then I found Buono's Italian beef frozen at GFS (Gordon Food Store) and it is very close to Portillo's taste.  For $20 you get 5 pounds of beef and enough juice for 6 beef sandwiches.  (We like them BIG)  The only thing missing are the yummy green peppers from Portillo's.  But regular sauteed peppers work.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

@walker wrote:

@KatieB ....it is good....thinly sliced beef in broth with seasonings served on Italian rolls....you heard it here first I guess!  

Thanks @walker.  But I think I will pass.  The only beef I like is ground beef (a hamburger) or a steak (ribeye or strip).

Respected Contributor

I have a meat slicer so I don't know if you'd be able to slice it thin enough without one, but even  other Chicagoans love this recipe.

9-10 lb. top inside beef round (I've used as small as 6.5 without changing anything)

3 garlic gloves, crushed

2 quarts water

1/2 cup chopped oregano

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup pepper

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

* beef broth, water, pepperoncinis, giardiniera

Set oven to 400°. Place meat in roasting pan and dry roast for 15-20 minutes.

Remove from oven and set oven to 350°.

Add rest of ingredients and roast at 350 for 2-2.5 hours. 

Internal temp of 130 for rare, 140 for medium.

Allow to rest at least 15 minutes. Internal temp will rise 5-10°.

* I add these extras because it doesn't make enough juice for me and it's not very spicy. A couple cans of beef broth with a couple cans of water, a few pepperoncinis with some juice from jar, and if you like it very spicy, a little juice from giardiniera.