Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Traditional New Years Day Dinner?

Brunch tradition -- Biscuits/sausage gravy/hashbrowns = happy family

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

HAM !

But,since I am vegan,I no longer eat it...................

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No traditions here.  But since my Mom passed away I've been making her turkey and stuffing.  After Mom passed away my brother told me it missed it  We have Thanksgiving with his mother-in-law who is just an okay cook.  Mom's recipe was MUCH better.   I wanted to make DB happy so I took on the task.  My paternal grandmother concocted the recipe for the stuffing ..... which takes me hours to prepare because each ingredient has to be cooked separately and then they are all combined.  All the work is worth just to hear DB say that it is just as good as Mom's.  

Respected Contributor

We're having pernil(roast pork), collard greens,candied yams, black eyed peas, rice, stewed tomatoes and corn bread. Happy New Year everyone!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Super Contributor

Some years we make a big turkey dinner on this day, but it is only my DH and myself today so I took some of the left over turkey from Thanksgiving out of the freezer and made turkey sandwiches. Opened a can of cranberries and a bag of chips and that was it. Good, easy, and not much to clean up!! Oh, we also had strawberry shortcake for dessert!! 

Trusted Contributor

It is a football day for us, so tailgating food is our tradition.  We had chili at noon and will have taco dip with chips at suppertime.  

Honored Contributor

I always fix brunch for NYD.  For dinner homemade soup is being served.  

Respected Contributor

No. We had chili and cornbread for lunch.

Regular Contributor

Red beans and rice with ham hocks and smoked sausage. Works especially well for a New Year's Day that also happens to fall on a Monday!

foodmondaynightredbeansnricewithhamhockfreshasparagusporksteak.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Not here,  I had left over tuna noodle casserole.  My husband is having steak & baked potato and salad...( I dislike steak)  we did have shrimp last night.