Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Brine Your Turkey?

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

My mom never did, it wasn't a thing in her generation.  I've done it once, several years ago.  I'm thinking I might try it again this year.  

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Why are you considering it this year?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

My mom never did, it wasn't a thing in her generation.  I've done it once, several years ago.  I'm thinking I might try it again this year.  

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Why are you considering it this year?

@Tinkrbl44  One from the Pioneer Woman came up on my Facebook feed and wondered about it.  The one thing that's holding me back is that the brine has a bunch of orange peels. I don't want the flavor of the meat or gravy to be affected.  

Trusted Contributor

Forgive me, but I am not a cook, so what does it mean to brine a turkey?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sophiesofers wrote:

Forgive me, but I am not a cook, so what does it mean to brine a turkey?  

Brine is a salty liquid, made with water, apple juice, AVC, or a combination of them, with varied spices and additions.  The raw turkey soaks in the brine for 12-24 hrs before going into the oven. The goal is to add moisture to the cells of the meat so they retain moisture during several hours of roasting.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I brine. But I only use salt and sugar. 1/4 cup each of salt and sugar for each 8 cups of water needed. I brine all poultry and pork.

How long I brine is based on how big the PC of meat. For example, bone in chicken breast or pork chops I brine 3-4 hours. For a bone-in pork roast or a whole turkey, 24 hours up to 36 hours.

I take the meat out, dry outside, rub in fresh herbs mixed in with butter and olive oil. For turkey I stuff it with chunks of carrots, onions, celery and fresh herbs. End up with a moist turkey and a great base for gravy.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

No, and I never would.

Respected Contributor

I have never brined a turkey. With so many people with high blood pressure, who need to lower their intake of sodium, it may be something to consider before brining.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   ok thank you for explaining that.  Happy Thanksgiving!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - Where do you purchase a smoked turkey? Is this sold in the grocery store (I've not seen one). Is it already cooked or you have to roast?

Sorry, I know, dumb questions but this is new to me.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 - Where do you purchase a smoked turkey? Is this sold in the grocery store (I've not seen one). Is it already cooked or you have to roast?

Sorry, I know, dumb questions but this is new to me.

@riley1 

Not a dumb question .... the last time I bought one it was at the same grocery store where I got my regular turkey. 

They don't stock a lot of them, I guess.  You may have to order them in advance. 

I stopped to talk to the meat dept mgr yesterday, and he said they didn't have any smoked whole turkeys left.  They did have smoked thighs and legs in small packages, though. 

I decided after T-Day is over, I'm going to buy a couple pieces of the smoked parts and use them as base in a turkey vegetable soup.