Respected Contributor

Did Something Different this Thanksgiving

Every year I bake a large turkey breast.  It is just me and my DH.  This year I could not find a "natural" one, I don't like the butterball as it is injected with a lot of salt and the turkey always tasted salty to me.  This year I thought I might just get two barbecude chickens, as I like chicken better than turkey anyway and my supermarket sells the kind that has no hormones or any kind of chemicals, purely organic.  I stripped the meat, made my own gravy, my own stuffing and my homemade cranberry sauce and it was delicious.  My DH said it was no much better than the turkey, moist and not salty.  No more standing over the oven for a few hours anymore.  I am so glad I tried this. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Did Something Different this Thanksgiving

Sounds yummy. I see no point in roasting a turkey for 2 people.

Esteemed Contributor

I had chicken also - never a fan of turkey. 

Your meal sounds like  "a repeat'.

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals 

I couldn't find a natural turkey breast either.Wound up settling for the Butterball one which was just ok. I made stock out of the bones and used it to make a big pot of chili.

I like the sound of your idea. I also thought next time if I still couldn't find a natural turkey breast, I  might get a Costco rotisserie chicken. They are always good.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN I always prefer chicken to turkey- just because turkey is the traditional choice doesn’t make me want it or want to cook it.

this year I ate 2 friends- turkey was the cook’s choice, so that’s what we ate.  The sides were all delicious.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@RetRN I always prefer chicken to turkey- just because turkey is the traditional choice doesn’t make me want it or want to cook it.

this year I ate 2 friends- turkey was the cook’s choice, so that’s what we ate.  The sides were all delicious.

LOL, @millieshops.  Read your last paragraph again 😋

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops,  please forgive me for this, sometimes I have no self control.

How were your friends prepared--roasted, smoked, deep fried?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp Thanks for the laugh

Honored Contributor

@tansy and they were delicious!

Frequent Contributor

Neither my BF or myself are good cooks. This year, we did buy the Butterball, pre cooked turkey. We thought it was the greatest thing we ever did regarding dinner. In the past, we always went out to the buffets, in Vegas, for our dinner. Nothing was open this year, so it turned out pretty good anyway.