Respected Contributor

Re: Deviled Eggs

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife 

I always fill the eggs with a spoonful of yolk mixture and sweep all of it out the  spoon by running the spoon upside down across the entire length of the egg.

Maybe I'm weird, but getting the mixture neatly onto the egg  without doing it my way doesn't work for me.

Don't want the thick part of the white to not have any of that tangy  "frosting".  Hard-cooked egg whites just don't appeal to me.

And yes yes yes.....steaming followed by an ice bath works great for easy peeling.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife :  How do you smoke the eggs?  Sounds delicious.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom   If you like pesto, you can mix some with the yolks.  Actually, you can make any flavor you like.  I have made them with wasabi, my usual which is cider vinegar, dry mustard, salt/pepper, and mayo.  Think of any flavor of food you like and try it.  I have topped some with sour cream and caviar, the inexpensive type, rinsed, added garlic at times, just anything I think I might like.

Trusted Contributor

I have used a baby spoon to neatly fill the eggs.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

It all sounds delicious! You ladies are killing me! Now I'm hungry! LOL

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Frequent Contributor
It all sounds so good. I’m no egg fan but I do love a deviled egg. I eat very low carb and make my own mayo but, since dh is immunosuppressed and can’t have raw egg (which is in my mayo), I use cream cheese, some pepper, mustard, garlic and bacon bits. They’re usually popular. I love the idea about having filling covering the entire egg. I always try to get it just in the indentation but I don’t like cooked egg white either so I’m going to try to spread it all over now. Great idea!
Honored Contributor

Love deviled eggs and mine add a few pinches of sugar.  They go first at cookouts.  Go figure!

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@RespectLife :  How do you smoke the eggs?  Sounds delicious.

@Hoovermom 

Last couple of times, we smoked them. 

Cook the eggs your favorite way. I now use my IP...see previous post.

Peel the shells off, leave whole and smoke for 20 mins.  Just set them right on the racks.

We have a Masterbuilt electric.  Use your favorite wood chips.

Then slice the eggs and make your yolk filling.

Wowza!  Really different and good flavor.  Everyone wants them smoked now!

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

I have used a baby spoon to neatly fill the eggs.

Good idea @aggravated 

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Athome2 wrote:
It all sounds so good. I’m no egg fan but I do love a deviled egg. I eat very low carb and make my own mayo but, since dh is immunosuppressed and can’t have raw egg (which is in my mayo), I use cream cheese, some pepper, mustard, garlic and bacon bits. They’re usually popular. I love the idea about having filling covering the entire egg. I always try to get it just in the indentation but I don’t like cooked egg white either so I’m going to try to spread it all over now. Great idea!

@Athome2 

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing the cream cheese idea!  I may have to try that some time!