Regular Contributor

Hosting St Patty’s party. Need easy dessert recipes. Looked on Pinterest 

just cant decide. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I have been waiting for this! It is ST PADDY'S not St Pattys!!!! My Mom would make Grasshopper Pie for the day or green jello or both.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Patz822A really easy dessert I used to make for St Patty's day was a punchbowl cake.  

Just make a yellow cake mix cake.

When cool crumble it into pieces in a punchbowl or large bowl.

Toss in Bailey's Irish Creme.  As much as you want.

Layer with vanilla instant pudding or even buy canned pudding.

Top with cool whip and sprinkle with green sprinkles. 

Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

Valued Contributor

I always make pistachio cake. There are lots of recipes online, however, I make the one that uses club soda. it is always a big hit. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

This one is so pretty when made in a spring form pan, but I just use a 13x9 cake pan.

Finely crush pack of Oreos. Mix with 1/3 cup melted butter and press in pan.  Top with  mint/chocolate chip ice cream that has been sliced off a rectangular block of ice cream. Drizzle with Hershey's chocolate syrup. Spread on layer of Cool Whip. Decorate with some more chocolate syrup and freeze.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

I have been waiting for this! It is ST PADDY'S not St Pattys!!!! My Mom would make Grasshopper Pie for the day or green jello or both.

@Group 5 minus 1

Grasshopper Pie is a great idea!

Eons ago, I worked for Blum's, the highest end bakery in San Francisco.  Every year, come St. Patrick's Day, the main bakery made Grasshopper Pies and always sold out at all of our bakeries/restaurants.  It was a favorite of Alfred Hitchcock.

Interestingly, I learned the first year there that the Grasshopper Pie was the only green pastry made, as green, aside from piped leaves on cakes and pastries, is considered to be an unappetizing color.

Esteemed Contributor

@Patz822

I would recommend going with @Group 5 minus 1 suggestion for a Grasshopper Pie, as they were extremely popular at Blum's (see my entry below) and with Alfred Hitchcock.  I also LOVED the pie and was able to take home a "second" the 3 years I worked there for free.  Otherwise, it would have cost $21.00 and that was in 1972!

Somewhere buried in all of my recipes is a wonderful brownie recipe just waiting for St. Patrick's Day.  Rich and indulgent, each one pairs well with a cup of coffee or tea.  Description:  Bottom layer is regular brownie, but baked in larger pan, so is thinner than normal.  Once cooled, on top make and place a white chocolate frosting.  Place in frig to set.  Now make green colored mint buttercream and spread on brownie in pan.  Chill again for at least 3 hrs., then place in freezer for 15 minutes.  Remove to counter and slice with steel bladed knife, which you dip into very warm water after each cut (then wip on a towel).  Use a baker's small off-set spatula or small knife to lift each brownie out of the pan to a plate.  Best not to stack.  May sound complicated but isn't.  If you're interested in the recipe, let me know and I'll dig for it.

Valued Contributor

IMG_5715.jpgMk822

CREAMY LIME SQUARES    Makes about 12 squares  

DIRECTIONS:  Preheat oven to 350.

Ingredients:

Crust: 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 stick unsalted butter, cold

-------------------------------

FILLING:     

2/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 6 limes)

1 1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup flour

4 eggs

2 tsp lime zest

Green food coloring (enough for desired green color)

Powdered sugar for serving

CRUST:  Combine confectioners sugar, flour, sea salt in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter; work w/your fingers until mixture resembles cornmeal. Press in greased 9" pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or golden.   

FILLING:  Whisk  granulated sugar and flour in a bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, whisk well after each addition.   Add  zest, lime juice & green food coloring to produce desired green color (CAREFUL: Don't  make  neon color filling).

Mix until everything is smooth and combined.

Pour filling over hot crust,  return to oven & bake another 20 minutes. When done, the filling will no longer jiggle. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing and dusting with powdered sugar.

ALSO:  How about a pistachio pudding dessert.  There is one with crushed ineapple, mini marshmallows, walnuts, cool whip. 

Esteemed Contributor

Poke Cake: Bake a white cake mix. After removing from the oven, mix 1 small package of lime jello with 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Poke holes in the cake with the end of a thick mixing spoon (not down to the bottom of the pan) and pour the lime jello mixture gradually over the cake. Cool for 15 minutes and then chill for 30 minutes. "Frost" with Cool Whip or prepared Dream Whip, and top with green "sprinkles".

Valued Contributor

@sfnative

Oh you are making me homesick and nostalgic...Blum's Crunch Cake was my FAVORITE!!!!