Frequent Contributor

Re: Delicious homemade mac and cheese - recipe wanted!

@annespan  I will definitely google it and I look forward to giving it a try. Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

@RespectLife  This MUST be delicious with all of these wonderful ingredients!  It reminds me of a lasagna with the layers.  Thank you for sharing!  My family will love all of my trial recipes!!  

Frequent Contributor

@RespectLife  The smokey flavor would definitely give this a different flavor, and I bet it's delicious.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

@Happy In the South

I have several favorite, tried and true recipes I can share with you. 

But PLEASE!  NO food police!  LOL  Mac & Cheese is what it is!

**While this is indeed delicious smoked.....you do NOT need a Smoker!  You can serve imediately or bake til cheese melts in the oven.

Masterbuilt Smoker Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup all purpose flour

3 cups milk

1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 cups (8 ounces) extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

2 cups (8 ounces) Gouda cheese shredded

1 cup (4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225° F.

2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.

3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Spoon mixture into an 11 by 9 ½-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.

4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hour at 225° F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

@RespectLife

Yum!!! We make this one in the smoker & in the oven. Turns out good both ways. We really like it. My MIL does not like it. Thought well go ahead & eat a box of Kraft Krap. LOL!!!

I have never ate the Kraft & never will. Gross!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happy In the South:  I am not a mac and cheese person BUT we love Fleming's Steakhouse mac and cheese.  If you goggle it, you will find the recipe.  It is now a "make sure you bring Fleming's mac and cheese" for every holiday meal.  TDF!!!  I'm afraid if I give a link they will remove it.  Fleming's Mac and Cheese (link).

Honored Contributor

Too Funny @Nightowlz

My mom never made anything that was NOT from a box!  I grew up on that blue box of powdered chemical m & c.  I never knew what REAL M & C was suppose to taste like until a few years ago!  Not even close!!!

@Happy In the South

You are very welcome!  We only have M & C on special occasions.  My kids request it all the time.  I have enjoyed trying new versions! 

I am having 25 for Thanksgiving and will for the first time add M & C to the menu.  We always only did mashed and sweet.  With so many ppl, I am adding a ham and m/c to the menu.  Just have to decide which one!

Please let us know which of all the great recipes shared you tried and liked!  Would be interested in others opinions!

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom

Thank you so much for sharing that recipe!  You can't have too many versions, I say!  I love to try new!

I don't think I have ever seen the Mods delete/poof a link for a recipe.  To retail items, yes, but they seem to allow recipe links.  That I have noticed, anyways.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Too Funny @Nightowlz

My mom never made anything that was NOT from a box!  I grew up on that blue box of powdered chemical m & c.  I never knew what REAL M & C was suppose to taste like until a few years ago!  Not even close!!!

@Happy In the South

You are very welcome!  We only have M & C on special occasions.  My kids request it all the time.  I have enjoyed trying new versions! 

I am having 25 for Thanksgiving and will for the first time add M & C to the menu.  We always only did mashed and sweet.  With so many ppl, I am adding a ham and m/c to the menu.  Just have to decide which one!

Please let us know which of all the great recipes shared you tried and liked!  Would be interested in others opinions!

@RespectLife

I never ate Mac n' cheese until I was an adult. Never ate any out of a box. LOL!!! I was a picky eater as a child & still am.

I don't eat much of it. I could not eat that as a meal like a lot of people do. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitlynn wrote:

I always use Velveeta and Sharp Cheddar cheese that I grate myself. Then I add real milk and real butter. It is delicious and rich and creamy.

I use a recipe from the Kraft kitchens that uses these ingredients.

I've shared it here before, as it's my favorite homemade mac. and cheese recipe. It comes out very creamy and cheesy, due to both the cheddar and the Velveeta in the recipe.

I lower the fat content in it by using a lower-fat Velveeta, and by also using skim milk and margarine in the recipe. I've also substituted saltines for the buttery-flavored cracker topping and it tastes just as great. I've also doubled the recipe for a larger amount for leftovers. 

Here is the recipe, for anyone that would be interested:

From the HeinzKraft website:

VELVEETA® Down-Home Macaroni & Cheese

What You Need:

Makes 5 Servings

1/4 cup butter, divided

1/4 cup flour

1 cup milk

1/2 lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked

1/2 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

6 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/4 cup)

Let's Make It:

1. Heat oven to 350°F.

2. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until thickened. Add VELVEETA; cook 3 min. or until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in macaroni.

3. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with cheddar. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.

4. Bake 20 min. or until heated through.

Esteemed Contributor

Here are two of my favorite recipes—the first is for a quick and easy stovetop mac'n'cheese from Cook's Illustrated, and the second is for a nice, creamy baked version with a cheesy crunchy topping (not sure where I found it, and you can obviously stop before the baking step to make it a stovetop-only version):

Cook's Illustrated Stovetop Mac'n'Cheese

1 1/2 C water
1 C whole milk
8 oz (2 C) elbow macaroni
4 oz cheddar or American cheese, shredded (1 C)
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 C)
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Bring water and milk to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir in macaroni and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until macaroni is soft (slightly past al dente), about 6 minutes. Add cheddar or American cheese, mustard, and cayenne, and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is completely melted, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat. Stir in Jack and Parmesan until evenly distributed but not fully melted. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir macaroni mixture until sauce is smooth (sauce may look loose but will thicken as it cools). Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Transfer pasta to a warm serving dish and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Perfect Baked Mac & Cheese

1 16-oz package cavatappi, celentani, or macaroni
8 Tbsp butter
8 Tbsp flour
2 C milk
2 C cream
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
3 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 C shredded or grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Cheesy buttered breadcrumbs (recipe below)

Cook and drain pasta according to package directions and set aside. Preheat oven to 400. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. When the bubbling subsides, add flour, salt, and pepper, whisking until well blended. Cook until light golden brown; stir occasionally. Pour in milk and cream, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook—still stirring constantly—for 10 minutes. Stir in cheese little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Add cooked pasta and toss to coat with the cheese sauce. Transfer mixture to a lightly buttered 9x13" baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake 20-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Serves 6-8.

Cheesy Buttered Breadcrumbs
2 slices bread
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 C Parmesan cheese

Tear bread slices into pieces and use a food processor or blender to pulse until they become breadcrumbs. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. As soon as it is melted and frothy, stir in breadcrumbs. Continue stirring until crumbs are evenly crisp and golden brown. Add cheese and stir until well combined. (Note: These crumbs are great for topping pasta bakes, veggies, and just about any side dish!)