Respected Contributor

Re: David's favorite jarred sauce???

I haven't tried the Bolognese sauce but I really like Rao's Tomato Basil...it is very tasty to me. I will look for Bolognese. Oh, and they used to have an Eggplant Parmigiana sauce that was soooooooo good! I can't find it any more. Woman Sad  

Respected Contributor

I've ordered Rao's directly from their website.  There is free shipping and handling if you order over $50 in products. They sell other products beside their sauce.  The sauce comes very well packaged so there is limited possibiity of breakage.

Contributor

found some at Target yesterday.  Tomato basil and Bolognese..  There was a third flavor but cannot remember it.

Trusted Contributor

I really like their Garlic sauce.  On David's Instagram page he shows making dinner with their marinara sauce.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I've ordered Rao's directly from their website.  There is free shipping and handling if you order over $50 in products. They sell other products beside their sauce.  The sauce comes very well packaged so there is limited possibiity of breakage.

Thanks so much, you had me at website.  Omg...  Lots of good stuff there.

Honored Contributor

Rao's sauce is delicious but if a certain type isn't available in your area (my favorite is their Italian Sausage and Mushroom) please take a look at Target's website as you can order the jars there and arranged to have them delivered to the store closest to you and I believe you will avoid s/h charges.

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl wrote:

I agree with David about the jarred sauce.  Rao''s is the best sauce I can get other than my own...It does cost more than the other brands but aren't you worth it.  I have also purchased it in Costco and BJ's...I always keep a few jars on hand to make the perfect meal... Treat yourself to one of the best around...

I also buy mine at Costco for around $8 for a 40 oz jar.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a jar of Rao's at my favorite local grocer (local chain) - it was around $6. Honestly, I wasn't that impressed, although maybe it was the flavor I bought (garlic or basil - can't remember). I thought it was a bit "greasy" for lack of a better term. I live in the St. Louis area where we have a lot of local Italian restaurants that sell their sauces at local grocers - and I'm sure a lot of you have the same thing. I think they are much better than Rao's, but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't buy it again. Hubby agreed - his comment was "this is supposed to be the best?"!

Valued Contributor

@06greatwife wrote:

Has anyone by chance tried the Rao's Bolognese sauce? It's my favorite sauce for pasta. I've lived in Europe twice and had the opportunity to eat delicious Bolognese sauce there. 

I love RAO'S sauces. I haven't tired the Bolognese because I make it using a recipe from Marcella Hazan from her Classic Italian Cookbook. It's called Ragu - meat sauce Bolognese Style. It's delicious!!!

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

When I use it I rinse out the jar with 1/4 cup of good red wine. 

@panda1234  I do the same and if I am lazy and don't want to take time to make homemade spaghetti sauce - whatever jarred sauce I buy - I always doctor it up with wine and additional spices.