Honored Contributor

Re: David’s Comfort Food book

I'm surprised at the tepid reviews here.  What did they sell, 219,000?  To me comfort food is similar to what my mom made, pork chops, meatloaf, chili, round steak in tomato sauce.  Those items can be made as rich or as lean as you can re-configure yourself.  Of course I still love going through what I call Southern Food cookbooks.  

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i found it to be a book of recycled recipes.  we have it at the library and it hasn't really been checked out

------

I put it, and two other comfort food makeover books, on hold at the library. My menus are basic - what I'd call farm food containing lots of produce. Only now, I don't grow it and instead to go farm markets on Saturday mornings and Wednesday afternoons.

Regular Contributor

I picked up a copy at my library.  Nothing really new here.  Since it's not in demand, the library keeps renewing it for me.  One of these days, I'm going to try the one or two recipes that appeal.  But healthy, they are not

Honored Contributor

@Jannygaz agree that none of his recipes are healthy. Still I found a lot more recipes to try than in his other books. Over summer I'll make:

Million Dollar Dip

Salisbury Steak

Bang Bang Chicken

Chili Mac

Valued Contributor

I have the resturant makeover one!!  It is fabulous. you can use sugar sub in the recipes... its a fabulous book!! i use it all the time

Contributor

His Million Dollar Dip is pretty awesome !

Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP, I'm curious as to why you bought a 'comfort foods' cookbook when trying to eat smarter when comfort food basically means high calorie, unhealthy food.

Respected Contributor

@lopse   If I read the post  by the Original Poster correctly it wasn't purchased, but instead borrowed from the library.

I think that is a good idea to borrow from the library first, especially for cookbooks, since they are expensive if they turn out not to have the kind of features you are looking for.

I have a big collection, accumulated over many years, and I just love to go back to some of the "less consulted" ones to find some new inspiration for menu planning.  Cooking is one of my favorite pastimes so I know how to adapt a recipe to my needs, but I always follow the author's directions the first time before altering to see what the original is aiming for in terms of taste, texture, and presentation.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@lopse   If I read the post  by the Original Poster correctly it wasn't purchased, but instead borrowed from the library.

I think that is a good idea to borrow from the library first, especially for cookbooks, since they are expensive if they turn out not to have the kind of features you are looking for.

I have a big collection, accumulated over many years, and I just love to go back to some of the "less consulted" ones to find some new inspiration for menu planning.  Cooking is one of my favorite pastimes so I know how to adapt a recipe to my needs, but I always follow the author's directions the first time before altering to see what the original is aiming for in terms of taste, texture, and presentation.

@aroc3435   I really need to pare down my collection and it is almost impossible for me!  BUT I am trying!  There are so many wonderful ones now, and then the old classics I can't stand to part with!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner   I am weeding out all categories of "stuff", including books, but not the cookbooks.  But to avoid "adding" any as much as possible I try the library copy first.  

My cookbooks will be the last books to go; maybe I'll "go" first.  Thinking even my grown daughter and son just might hang onto a few of them and not just pitch them outright.  They have given a few to me as Christmas gifts years ago since they know I so enjoy cooking.

I love to find cookbooks at summer rummage sales, Good Will, Salvation Army, etc., where the user has written in notes next to the recipes.  Sometimes you even find tear sheets from magazines and newspapers.  And some used ones I've acquired through online vintage booksellers. 

I hope someday to come across someone's old recipe box or clip file--so much interesting history with the bonus of some new recipes.

One last thing--pare your collection carefully--a cookbook you regret culling can be very expensive to replace from an online source--if you can find the title at all.