Respected Contributor
Rather disappointed as I went through. As I am trying to eat smarter, I found few main dishes with lesser amounts of cheese, carbs, etc. No vegetarian that stood out. Disappointed that calories not given. Glad I borrowed from library.
Respected Contributor

Re: David’s Comfort Food book

Comfort food is not known to be low calorie.

Respected Contributor

If a cookbook has "Comfort Food" in the title...well, that's a dead giveaway that the food is not necessarily "healthy". 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other posters, comfort food is not a healthy option. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom - If you want healthier comfort food options, I really like the Comfort Food Makeovers cookbook from America's Test Kitchen. It's sold pretty much everywhere and may be available at your library (or you could probably ask them to order it for you). I have a few other cookbooks in this category, but this is the one that immediately popped into my head to recommend; I'll check my collection when I get home to see if there are any other great ones to suggest. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
Rather disappointed as I went through. As I am trying to eat smarter, I found few main dishes with lesser amounts of cheese, carbs, etc. No vegetarian that stood out. Disappointed that calories not given. Glad I borrowed from library.

I wouldn't expect to find healthy choices in a comfort food cookbook.  Actually pretty much the opposite.

There are different cookbooks for different interests/purposes, so you'd be better off looking at a cookbook that's more specific to what you want.

Honored Contributor

In my world, "comfort foods" are those made when ill, something stressful is happening and or you are settling down at home and hearth (bad weather, etc). Perhaps it's a combo of all of the above. THIS is when something that is warm, soothing, yummy and brings a flood of happy memories is needed. Rarely is it a salad and carrot sticks, lol, or low-calorie and light.

It isn't something you make daily or weekly or even monthly. It's a special something when something special is called for. Does that make sense? I don't use a cookbook for that because those foods are going to be unique to every person/every family. 

JMHO.

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom - I can't believe I forgot about Marlene Koch's "Eat What You Love" series for better-for-you comfort food recipes! I love all of those books, and the most recent one that does restaurant dish makeovers is excellent.

Trusted Contributor

i found it to be a book of recycled recipes.  we have it at the library and it hasn't really been checked out

Respected Contributor

I saw it at my local library and skimmed through it. None of the recipes appealed to me.