Esteemed Contributor

David V.'s chicken carbonara

I made David Venable's chicken carbonara this week.  It was good and easy if anyone's looking for something different.  I added a bit of shredded mozarella to the top of mine while my husband added parmesan.  

Here's a short video of him making it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEyEneG-ao

Ingredients:

1 pound spaghetti

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon & 1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

8 ounces turkey bacon

1 rotisserie chicken (remove meat & shred)

1 3/4 cup chicken broth

2 8 oz. mascarpone cheese containers

3/4 frozen peas

Bring a large pot of water with a tablespoon of salt to boil.  Add the spaghetti and cook until tender.  Drain spaghetti in colander, but don't rinse it.

Heat the oil in the same pot over medium-high heat.  Add turkey bacon and cook until browned (about 5 minutes).  Stir chicken, broth, mascaropone, peas, garlic, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and the drained spaghetti.  Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes while stirring frequently until everything is combined. 

Respected Contributor

Re: David V.'s chicken carbonara

Sounds delicious except I'd use pork bacon. He shouldn't call it carbonara though. This is nothing like carbonara as it is classically known.

Esteemed Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Sounds delicious except I'd use pork bacon. He shouldn't call it carbonara though. This is nothing like carbonara as it is classically known.

I think pork bacon would be good too.  This is from his comfort food short cuts cookbook, so I guess that's why it's different from traditional recipes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I think pork bacon would be good too.  This is from his comfort food short cuts cookbook, so I guess that's why it's different from traditional recipes.

What is funny is that the real carbonara recipe only has 4 ingredients, long pasta, guaranciale, panchetta or bacon, eggs and hard cheese like parmasan or pecorino romano or mix of both  and then black pepper lol Now thats a Supermarket Shortcut that needs no shortcut lolg

Honored Contributor

I'd call it chicken mac and cheese with bacon.  Which is basically what it is. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

What is funny is that the real carbonara recipe only has 4 ingredients, long pasta, guaranciale, panchetta or bacon, eggs and hard cheese like parmasan or pecorino romano or mix of both  and then black pepper lol Now thats a Supermarket Shortcut that needs no shortcut lolg

I only use the yolks.