Respected Contributor

David V's French Onion Chicken

Has anyone made this? I was thinking of making this for company on Thursday night. I wanted to know if anyone has made it and how it turned out? I wanted to know if it's more soupy or like a sauce because I was thinking of serving it with/over rice, with spinach and carrots for sides.Smiley Happy

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: David V's French Onion Chicken

If it's too soupy, you could always thicken it.  Sounds good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Starpolisher Yes! I made it last week and loved it. My co-worker made it too and only just liked it. Mine was way more "soupy" than David's example. It could be because I didn't bother to trim the fat. But, you can reserve some of the liquid or just thicken it. Also, the onions took me nearly 45 minutes to caramelize. Use good Gruyere cheese for the best results. Your sides sounds just fine.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks @PA Mom-mom @Kachina624

I want to make it more like sauce/gravy to serve over rice. Will post after to say how it turned out.Smiley Happy

-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

@Starpolisher Looking forward to your feedback!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Caramelizing onions--

Consider doing them in a slow cooker.  They are perfect when you are short on time or don't want to spend 45 minutes at the stovetop stirring onions.  These can cook while you are doing other things, away from home or asleep!

Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions

Ingredients
3 lb bag of onions (I read that standard yellow onions have more sugar than Vidalia and other sweet onions!)
1 stick butter
1 TBS olive oil

Directions
Cut onions with consistent thickness and shape (sliced rounds, half moons, quartered, etc).

Add all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 10 hours or overnight.

If desired, cook for another 3-5 hours with the lid ajar to evaporate the extra liquid and thicken the onions. This will also result in a darker, sweeter onion.

If you’re in a rush, drain the extra liquid from the onions.

Store covered in fridge for 4-5 days or freeze for months.

You may further flavor these caramelized onions just before the cooking cycle is completed by adding in some red wine, chix or beef broth, a light drizzle of honey or a sprig of thyme.

Use some of these leftover caramelized onions as toppings for burgers and pizzas, cook with scrambled eggs, in stews, with beef dishes, onion jam; allow the drained liquid to harden and use as onion-flavored butter which is delicious on baked potatoes, on a steak, etc.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't expecting it to be a slow cooker meal

Looks like a winner winner chicken dinner!

@Starpolisher wrote:

Has anyone made this? I was thinking of making this for company on Thursday night. I wanted to know if anyone has made it and how it turned out? I wanted to know if it's more soupy or like a sauce because I was thinking of serving it with/over rice, with spinach and carrots for sides.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm making this tomorrow and using chicken breast. @vabreeze thank you so much for the caramelized onion recipe. I have them cooking as I write this. That was the one part of the recipe that I was dreading because of the time involved watching and stirring the onions. Thanks to you it should be a breeze!👏😀

-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher

Because the temperature of slow cookers can vary from one model to the next or its age, I would suggest that you check on your onions maybe after 7 or 8 hours.  If allowed to cook to get a deep golden color (vs blonde color doneness or golden brown color doneness), just know the onions are not burnt.

I'm glad David's recipe was discussed here or I would've missed it.  I've saved it to make in the near future.

Trusted Contributor

How about sharing the recipe?