Honored Contributor

I'm craving fresh greens, and finished the end of my 8 pound bag of chopped spinach and kale last night for supper.

So this morning I'm having my breakfast coffee, and who should visit my weary mind but my dad, to remind me how good dandelion greens are when served wilted or fresh, with sweet sour dressing or oil and garlic.

REAL Depression Era fare, and VERY NUTRITIOUS and right there out my back door.

Anybody else??

Honored Contributor

Re: Dandelion Greens, anyone?

My grandpa used dandelions to brew homemade wine

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like them with a hot bacon dressing.  This is from an issue of Cook's Country:

8 slices thick-cut bacon cut into 1/2" pieces

1/2 red onion, sliced thin

2 tsp minced garlic

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 tsp sugar

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

Fry bacon until crisp.  Remove bacon to paper towels, and drain off all but 1/4 cup bacon fat.

Cook onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar in fat until softened.  Stir in vinegar and mustard. 

Dress steamed greens with dressing.  Sprinkle bacon over dressed greens.

Honored Contributor

YES!!! I KNEW there was another way my mom used to do them! THANK YOU!!!

Respected Contributor

@violann add hard boiled eggs and you will have a great salad

Esteemed Contributor

@violann We were raised to believe we would not have a healthful year if we didn't eat our dandelion greens in the spring. They have been showing up in the stores the last few years, but they are huge! Must be cultivated. Our yards in this area are too full of chemicals to use the dandelion. I usually try to get to Lancaster, but none were available the last time I went. And, yes. Always hot bacon dressing!

Respected Contributor

@violann 

YUMMMMMMMMMM Dandelion Green Salads are DEEEEEEELISH. 

Organic Olive Oil and Shaved Locatelli - a squeeze of lemon juice, and I'm in heaven. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@violann We were raised to believe we would not have a healthful year if we didn't eat our dandelion greens in the spring. They have been showing up in the stores the last few years, but they are huge! Must be cultivated. Our yards in this area are too full of chemicals to use the dandelion. I usually try to get to Lancaster, but none were available the last time I went. And, yes. Always hot bacon dressing!

My dad was a Hawley boy, born and bred- up near Honesdale.

Honored Contributor

My grandmother often had them in her salads. I always loved them, but since she lived in the middle of NYC, with no backyard or garden, I probably don't want to know where she got them.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

No, I will pass on greens; dandelion, creasy, collards, kale, spinach, beet greens, turnip greens, I’m not a fan.  

I would much rather eat a plate full of fried beef, chicken or pork liver any day over a single serving of greens!