Respected Contributor

Re: Dandelion Greens, anyone?

@Desertdi wrote:

My grandpa used dandelions to brew homemade wine

I made dandelion wine 100 yrs. ago when I was in High School (drinking age was 18) and mom helped.  It was REALLY good!

Probably because of all the fruit in it, LOL.

Denise
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

When I was little, Mom would let us go into the yard and dig dandelion greens for supper.  Of course you had to get them when they were just popping up and nice and tender.  We fixed them just like lettuce.  I loved them.

Now w/all the weed control, they are next to impossible to find.....sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTopSmiley Happy !!! I can't imagine! Green leaves are my absolute favorite foods! Maybe because I grew up with those dandylions! I miss my Mommy picking and cleaning them!

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

I'm craving fresh greens, and finished the end of my 8 pound bag of chopped spinach and kale last night for supper.

So this morning I'm having my breakfast coffee, and who should visit my weary mind but my dad, to remind me how good dandelion greens are when served wilted or fresh, with sweet sour dressing or oil and garlic.

REAL Depression Era fare, and VERY NUTRITIOUS and right there out my back door.

Anybody else??

@violann I just saw this link on FB about dandelions:

https://padutchcompanion.com/2020/04/13/spring-tonic/?fbclid=IwAR0MjrXsplKh8wpnreYnCNUEJ_416jogkvUKK...

I hope I copied it correctly.

Honored Contributor

My Grammie used to make them. I would be afraid to eat them today ,unless I knew they were not grown with pesticide..I have never eaten them, but I have heard they do taste good

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom I am SO DELIGHTED TO SEE THIS. I have to get out tomorrow or they'll all have gone to flower.