Esteemed Contributor

Do you LOVE delicata squash?

delicata.jpg

My DH is obsessed with this squash. I'm glad to see the local grocery stores are starting to stock them along with the acorn and butternut. I love that they are sweet, but not too sweet; and it takes on flavors around it on the baking sheet. You can also eat the rinds, so prep is easy. Just scoop out the seeds. Tonight I did them with potatoes and the Lipton onion soup mix. The only problem I have is figuring out the bakig time. It depends on the ripeness of the squash. I did 425 for 35 min. tonight, and it was at least 5 minutes too long.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a good friend who says she could eat salmon and delicata squash for dinner every night. I will pick up a couple of the squash from the local farm on Wednesday.

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva Salmon and delicata sounds good to me too!

Honored Contributor

I've never even seen them in a grocery store.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Daffy for Delicata

[ Edited ]

I have never heard of this type of squash...    I'm from NC, so I take it it's not a southern thing?  How large is the squash?  It's hard to tell from the pic..

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB and @Kachina624 I have found these at farmers markets the past few years, but supermarkets don't seem to carry them. Now they do, in eastern PA. They are about 8 to10 inches long and as thick as a large zucchini,.

Honored Contributor

I got mine at the farm stand. Mine was about 8 inches long and maybe as round as a baseball. Cut it in half lengthwise then sliced each half into half inch slices. No need to peel.

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's has been carrying them fairly regularly.

Honored Contributor

Yes, these are great very colorful, very tasty, roast quickly too.

There are SO many wonderful squashes in season right now. We eat many through the fall/winter.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB  You should google squashes, there are many many  out there, and many in our stores right now too, perhaps different varieties throughtout areas of the country.