Esteemed Contributor

I haven't heard of/seen this type of squash in my grocery stores, so thanks for the tip. I'm going to look for it. We mostly love acorn squash with butter and brown sugar, but are always ready to try something different.

Respected Contributor

After reading this thread the other day I saw delicata squash and brought home two from the store.  Then I went on the hunt for a recipe on line.  Made the mistake of following a "This is the best recipe" of using a sprinkle of chili powder and lime juice.  Don't.

I'll buy it again, I could tell it is a nice kind of squash but I ruined it.  Next time I'll season it simply with olive oil and salt.  Or for something a little exotic, maybe garam masala but no chili powder ever again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be Sorry it didn't work out for you! Yes, your idea of simple ingredients is best. The squash is so beautifully delicate! If anything, you could used sliced onion or some garlic, but make sure it doesn't burn.Maybe your favorite herb, like thyme or rosemary. I like your idea of garam masala. You could also try par-boiled beets on your sheet pan.

Honored Contributor

We have had them for several seasons now and they are by far my favorite squash!  I cooked some in my Instant Pot last night and they were very good.  I'm happy with a little butter and salt on them. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We have had them for several seasons now and they are by far my favorite squash!  I cooked some in my Instant Pot last night and they were very good.  I'm happy with a little butter and salt on them. 

@Sooner

I took the plunge this morning.

Threw those 2 little bad boys in my Instant Pot for 13 minutes.

OH.

MY.

GOODNESS!!!

They are so sweet!  Cook to tender.  Lovely!

I just cut them up in small pieces to eat as a snack.

Plus....cheap eatin’!

Question:

How can you tell if a squash is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ before buying?

Honored Contributor

Re: Daffy for Delicata

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

I took the plunge this morning.

Threw those 2 little bad boys in my Instant Pot for 13 minutes.

OH.

MY.

GOODNESS!!!

They are so sweet!  Cook to tender.  Lovely!

I just cut them up in small pieces to eat as a snack.

Plus....cheap eatin’!

Question:

How can you tell if a squash is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ before buying?

@sidsmom  LOL!!!  Glad you enjoyed them, good and easy and practically no cleanup!  How bad could that be?  You know a tiny sprinkle of brown sugar and or cinnamon can also be added for a treat!  I don't do that often, but if I need something sweet it works! 

I look at a squash's skin--no blemishes, dings, cuts or soft spaces, and I get the ones with a lot of orange color but I don't know if that helps or not.  I want one middle sized, not light for it's size, and uniform in shape.  Other that that I have no idea!  

I put some in the IP on top of some pork tenderloins and it was great and easy! I had halved them then cut those in half to get it to fit on a big one in my smaller pc. 

Happy squashing! 

Honored Contributor

How’bout this?

I would leave out the oil...but this sounds good!

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/this-miso-glazed-hasselback-delicata-squash-is-a-real-s-1829813415

3B0EC483-61E7-40F3-94DC-892EF1C64D34.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Well I found some of the delicata squash at Harris-Teeter last week and tried it...  Bought three of them, had to throw 2 away, they were too hard-could not cut them.  I roasted the third one, after cutting into slices and was not crazy about it.  So I will not be buying any more delicata.   At any rate, I'm glad I got to try something new...