Honored Contributor

The Ultimate Guide to Homemade Salad Dressing:

Honored Contributor

That is a great chart. I always make my ow dressings, mostly olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, shallots, honey and a touch of Dijon mustard. It is so worth it to make your own.🥗

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Maruchan rice vinegar.    That's all.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I made a Russian Dressing with Campbells Tomato Soup that was just delicious but it was "missing" something from what I remembered when I was a little girl.

My mom had an Oster Blender and the recipe was in that book and the book disappeared.  If anyone has an old Oster Blender book with the recipe, I sure would appreciate printing it.

Tomato Soup for sure, oil, possibly Worcestershire sauce? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DIY Salad Dressings

[ Edited ]

Definitely the way to go.  Though I like many of them I find there is too much junk in most prepared dressings.

I make a buttermilk dressing (low fat buttermilk and mayo, white balsamic, chives, tarragon, parsley, garlic, S&P).  I ad lib sometimes and add a tomato or green pepper and for some reason, I like a shot of paprika in it.  Even a touch of hot sauce sometimes.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I made a Russian Dressing with Campbells Tomato Soup that was just delicious but it was "missing" something from what I remembered when I was a little girl.

My mom had an Oster Blender and the recipe was in that book and the book disappeared.  If anyone has an old Oster Blender book with the recipe, I sure would appreciate printing it.

@Just Bling

THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING

1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise

1 slice onion, l/2” (1.3 cm) thick

l/4 cup (50 ml) chili sauce

1 dill pickle, cut in pieces

1 teaspoon (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce

2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered

8 stuffed olives

Put mayonnaise, chili sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into Osterizer blender container. Cover and process at BEAT (STIR) until well blended. STOP BLENDER and add remaining ingredients. Cover and process 2 cycles at GRATE. fiELD: ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS(375ML)

RUSSIAN SALAD DRESSING

1 can (10 3/4 ounces or 305 g) tomato soup

l/3 cup (75mL) vinegar

1 clove garlic

1 tablespoon (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce

1 cup (250 ml) oil

1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt

1 teaspoon (5 ml) white pepper

1 tablespoon (15 ml) brown sugar

1 small onion, quartered

Put first 8 ingredients into Osterizer blender container. Cover and process at MIX (BLEND). Remove feeder cap, pour oil into mixture in a steady stream, continue to process until thoroughly blended. MELD: 3CUPS (750 ML)

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling

Here is the source, in case any "old time" recipes come to mind.

Bookmark it quickly. 😻

http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/fc83dec43fb041b75f8440c42b44f272

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

@Just Bling

THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING

1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise

1 slice onion, l/2” (1.3 cm) thick

l/4 cup (50 ml) chili sauce

1 dill pickle, cut in pieces

1 teaspoon (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce

2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered

8 stuffed olives

Put mayonnaise, chili sauce, and Worcestershire sauce into Osterizer blender container. Cover and process at BEAT (STIR) until well blended. STOP BLENDER and add remaining ingredients. Cover and process 2 cycles at GRATE. fiELD: ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS(375ML)

RUSSIAN SALAD DRESSING

1 can (10 3/4 ounces or 305 g) tomato soup

l/3 cup (75mL) vinegar

1 clove garlic

1 tablespoon (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce

1 cup (250 ml) oil

1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt

1 teaspoon (5 ml) white pepper

1 tablespoon (15 ml) brown sugar

1 small onion, quartered

Put first 8 ingredients into Osterizer blender container. Cover and process at MIX (BLEND). Remove feeder cap, pour oil into mixture in a steady stream, continue to process until thoroughly blended. MELD: 3CUPS (750 ML)

OMG!  I think this is it!  Russian Dressing, it was so good.  I'll make some tomorrow....thank you so very much!

Contributor

Love Rice vinegar on coleslaw.  My DH likes creamy coleslaw so when making it for him i mix rice vinegar and greek yogurt. Yummy