Respected Contributor

DILL PICKLE PASTA SALAD

[ Edited ]

I tried something a little different in pasta salads and found this Dill Pickle Pasta Salad quite delicious with an almost refreshing taste that you can't stop eating. The pickles and pickle juice cut the heaviness that mayo tends to have in salads.  My family kept going back for another scoop or two..

DILL PICKLE PASTA SALAD SO GOOD

• 1 box (16 oz)  pasta, such as rotini, shells, cappelletti or other that will grab and coat the dill dressing
  • 1/3 cup dill pickle juice (from the pickle jar)
  • 2 cups chopped baby dill pickles (FIND THE SMALLEST DILL PICKLES as they have a good crunch when they're small) 
  • 1 block (8 oz) Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese, cubed small
  • 1 small white onion, finely chopped
  •  
  • CREAMY DILL DRESSING
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup dill pickle juice (from the pickle jar)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or 1 tablespoon dried dill)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS: 

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Don't forget to add some salt to the boiling water before adding the pasta. I add about 1 teaspoon, give or take.
  2. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. 
  3. Move the pasta from the colander into a mixing bowl and then add the 1/3 cup pickle juice, mix it through and let it sit while you prepare the rest.
  4. Chop the dill pickles, and cheese into small cubes/pieces. Finely chop the white onion.
  5. Drain the pasta again that was sitting in the pickle juice. Add it to a large bowl along with the chopped pickles, cheese, and white onion.
  6. In small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and pour over the pasta salad. Stir everything together to combine well. Salad can be eaten right away but I prefer itDIll-Pickle-Pasta-Salad.png cold, and if you do too, then cover it and refrigerate it for 1-2 hours. I would recommend not making this too far ahead of time. For best results serve this salad within a few hours of making it. Either right away or after the refrigeration time. Leftovers do keep well in the fridge (are still delicious) but the dressing thickens up and it's not as "creamy" as when you first make it). I’ve found that you can add a few tablespoons of extra pickle juice to the leftovers and mix through as it will refresh the salad for that wonderful dill pickle flavor to any leftovers that have absorbed the original dill dressing..   

If you try it, let me know how you liked it!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You had me at Dill pickle. Love them. I will be making this. Thank you 😊 

Super Contributor

This looks delicious!  It has 2 of my favorite things, dill pickles and cheese.  I'm not a huge pasta salad fan but I will be making this soon. 

Honored Contributor

this sounds good!

will probably leave out the cheese and add in something else for color....maybe carrots or peas?

i  add pickle juice and chopped dill pickles to my potato salad.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the recipe!  I like pasta salads in the summer, and this one sounds so good....I saved it!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm drooling!!  This sounds so good!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

This really sounds like an Eastern European recipe. I make a lot of Czech recipes and pickle salads are a huge thing, with many variations. I am going to try yours- sounds delish!!

Esteemed Contributor

Our DIL made this same recipe for a 4th of July cookout with friends. She said that it was a big hit, and there wasn't even a tablespoon left over!

Respected Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

You had me at Dill pickle. Love them. I will be making this. Thank you 😊 

You read my mind. Was going to repeat what you said 😊 

Honored Contributor

This sounds very interesting.  I am going to give it a try.  Thanks!