Valued Contributor

Re: DECEMBER RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

Lima Bean Soup

1/2 cup of cooked rice
1 cup of cooked lima beans
1 quart of chicken stock or meat stock
2 tablespoons of marinara sauce (tomato sauce seasoned with garlic and spices)
salt to taste

Puree the rice and limas with a cup of the broth. Then add this blend, along with the marinara sauce, to a pan containing the rest of the stock. Heat the mixture, seasoning it as you like. This recipe serves two to four.

Next ingredient:  dried apricots

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Dried Apricot Pie

Ingredients

18 ounces dried apricots

1 3/4 cups water

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon orange liqueur

1 3/4 cups white sugar

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F 
  2. Slice the dried apricots in half. Rinse them with water. Place them in a sauce pan with the water, bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Combine the cornstarch with the orange liqueur and about 1 tablespoon of the apricots' cooking liquid. Mix until smooth then stir into the cooked apricots. Add the white sugar and combine. Pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell and seal with the top crust. Brush milk over top crust for color, if desired.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees F  for 1 hour.

Next ingredient: Pecans 

Honored Contributor

Honey-Dill Salmon Spread

8 oz. smoked salmon

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

1 tablespoon Harry & David Honey Dill Mustard*

1 cup PECANS, chopped

1 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Combine PECANS and parsley in a bowl; set aside.  Mix salmon, cream cheese and mustard together.  Shape into a ball.  Roll in chopped PECANS and fresh parsley until completely coated.  Chill and serve with crackers or cocktail rye bread.

* Can substitute a regular honey mustard and add dill if desired or

omit dill.

NEXT INGREDIENT.............CHICKEN STOCK OR BROTH

Regular Contributor

This is the BEST cornbread dressing I've ever eaten!  I'm not much of a cook and rely on a lot of recipes I find online.  This one -- like so many others I've posted -- comes from margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com.  

Cornbread Dressing

8 to 12 Servings

1 (6.5 oz.) pkg. yellow cornbread mix
1 (6 oz.) pkg. Mexican cornbread mix
15 biscuits (canned, frozen or homemade)
1 stick butter
3 onions, finely chopped
6 celery stalks, finely chopped
6 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
4 tsp. sage
1 (32 oz.) box chicken broth
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
milk

Cook cornbread and biscuits; cool. Chop into very fine crumbs using a food processor. Mix to evenly distribute. Chop onions and celery in a food processor. Melt butter and cook onions and celery for about 15 minutes until wilted.

Add eggs to the bread crumbs. Stir in salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and sage. Stir well; mixture will be very thick. Stir in cooked vegetables. Add chicken broth, adding additional broth, if necessary. Add milk so the mixture is the consistency of thick cake batter.

Pour mixture into a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan and a greased 9-inch square pan. Cover each pan with foil and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 minutes to brown the top.

Next Ingredient:  Oats

Honored Contributor

Oat Nut Burgers

INGREDIENTS
2/3 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup chopped walnuts ( or favorite nut)
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, grated
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1/4 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup water
DIRECTIONS
Mix the ingredients together and season to taste.
Shape into 6 burgers (more or less depending on your tastes) and fry until brown, turning once.
I like to throw the dry ingredients into a food processor for a more uniform texture.
I also fry only what I need and keep the rest waiting for me in a tupperware for later.
Garlic, salt and pepper are nice seasonings to add.
NOTE: If you find that they are mushy inside, make your patties smaller or thinner. If you shape them too large or too thick then they won't cook right.

Next Ingredient: Sugar Snap Peas