Honored Contributor

DECEMBER RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

WELCOME TO DECEMBER.....I hope you don't mind a little holiday humor but this picture made me smile plus I know lots of people that use varied cooking methods and ingredients this time of year . . . . Smiley Happy

FIRST.....if you are just joining us and please do......HOW TO PLAY.......

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

AND AWAY WE GO FOR DECEMBER!  Enjoy our shared recipes!

Normally we start out with a recipe but I do not have one for the last ingredient shared so I will post it and we can take it from there if that's ok with every body:

Next Ingredient:  Molasses

Respected Contributor

Re: DECEMBER RECIPE EXCHANGE GAME

@momtochloe wrote:

WELCOME TO DECEMBER.....I hope you don't mind a little holiday humor but this picture made me smile plus I know lots of people that use varied cooking methods and ingredients this time of year . . . . Smiley Happy

The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe.  At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).  Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose.  If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe.  That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.

Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient.  The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient.  Good recipes and lots of fun!!

Normally we start out with a recipe but I do not have one for the last ingredient shared so I will post it and we can take it from there if that's ok with every body:

2nd Ingredient:: Ketchup 
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cinnamon Snaps

½ C sugar
½ C shortening
½ C molasses
1 tsp soda
1 Tbsp warm water
2 ½ - 3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp ginger
¼ tsp salt

Cream sugar and shortening.  Add molasses.  Add soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp warm water.

Add enough flour to make a stiff dough.

I roll into balls and flatten with a glass.

Bake 8-10 mins at 375 degrees.  Wonderful with coffee!

Next ingredient:  Powdered sugar  (10x)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

2nd Ingredient:: Ketchup 

@Leeny thank you so much for this and for joining this monthly very fun and informative thread and bad on me for not being clearer.  Whenever you see the "Next Ingredient" we are looking for folks to post a tried and true recipe using said ingredient and then it is their choice as to what the next featured ingredient should be.

Again, thank you for joining our happy little community! . . . Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

MELTING MOMENT COOKIES
1 c. butter
3/4 c. unsifted cornstarch (stir before measuring)
1/3 c. unsifted powdered sugar  (stir before measuring)
1 c. flour

ICING:
1 (3 oz.) pkg. soft cream cheese
1 c. unsifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla or  1/4 tsp almond flavoring

1. Beat butter at low speed until creamy. Slowly add cornstarch and powdered sugar. Turn speed to medium high and beat until fluffy.
2. With wooden spoon, stir in the flour. Dough should be quite soft.

3. Cover and chill for 45 minutes to 1 hour or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before shaping cookies if refrigerated overnight.

4. Prepare cream cheese icing: Blend softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Mixture will seem stiff, but will liquify as it is beaten. Mix 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring . Mix well.

5. Roll dough into 24 (1") balls. Place 1 1/2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press indentation on top of each cookie. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Top cookies with icing and sliced almonds.

next ingredient:  ketchup 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Regular Contributor

Hamburger Macaroni Casserole
4 to 6 Servings

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 (8 oz.) pkg. elbow macaroni (uncooked)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 cup catsup
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese to taste (optional)

Brown ground beef in large pan. Remove beef from pan using a slotted spoon. Discard all but two or three tablespoons of drippings from the pan. Put the uncooked macaroni, onion and green pepper in the drippings and cook until the onion is soft. Return beef to the pan and add the remaining ingredients, except cheese. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until macaroni is cooked as desired, stirring every 7 or 8 minutes to keep macaroni from sticking. If using cheese, add it when the casserole is done. Remove the pan from heat. Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole and put the lid on the pan until the cheese melts.

Getting into the holiday spirit, the next ingredient is eggnog.

Honored Contributor

Eggnog Quick Bread  

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons rum flavored extract
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of a 9x5-inch loaf pan, or three 3x5-inch loaf pans.
  2. Blend together the eggs, eggnog, rum extract, sugar, vanilla and butter.
  3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add to eggnog mixture and stir just enough to moisten; pour into prepared pan or pans.
  4. Bake large loaf for 40 to 60 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Breads baked in the smaller pans require 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, and remove from pan. Cool completely, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil, and store in refrigerator.

Next ingredient:  Powdered Sugar

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe

I am sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we had to give an ingredient to add and then come up with what you would use the ingredients in Smiley Happy Mine was for home made baked beans Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@momtochloe

I am sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we had to give an ingredient to add and then come up with what you would use the ingredients in Smiley Happy Mine was for home made baked beans Smiley Happy

Oh @Leeny absolutely no problem at all but I am glad you mentioned this recipe as the next time I post a recipe the next ingredient will be Ketchup . . . Smiley Happy

Welcome to the thread my friend!

Respected Contributor

Oscar's Baked Beans

1-46oz can of baked beans or 5-16oz cans

Dice and brown 4 slices of bacon and drain off fat.

Mix into beans.

1 cup brown sugar

1-tsp mustard 

One diced onion 

4TBSP of molasses

Put into baking dish and add ketchup to the top and and bake 1 hr. at 350 degrees

Next igredient:  Almond Extract