1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 bay leaf

1 (4-5 lb.) BEEF Tenderloin

5 cloves garlic

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

5 slices bacon

Combine first 5 ingredients; stir well, set aside.  Rub tenderloin with garlic.  Make 5 slits in tenderloin, and insert 1 garlic clove into each slit; sprinkle tenderloin with salt and pepper.  Place in a large shallow dish; pour marinade over tenderloin.  Cover and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours, turning occasionally.

Drain meat; discard marinade.  Place tenderloin on a rack in roasting pan.  Place bacon slices on top of BEEF; insert meat thermometer into thickest portion of tenderloin, making sure it does not touch fat.  Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until thermometer registers 140 degrees (rare), 150 degrees (medium-rare), or 160 degrees (medium).  Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.    10-12 servings.

NEXT INGREDIENT ....... TOMATO SAUCE

Honored Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2017 RECIPE GAME

Cabbage Rolls

Easy and serves a crowd (12 servings)

My husband loves this dish 

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups cooked rice
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Coarsely ground pepper, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.

Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.

Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Next Ingredient: GOUDA CHEESE

1. B0671EB5-7388-4128-82BF-DE253A112386.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I've searched everything I have for a gouda recipe.  I am sure I made something with gouda before, but I can't find it.

So I'm going to post something with another mild cheese that you can use gouda in place of so we can close out this month on a high note.

I like to make this in the summer for lunch.

SPINACH AND MOZZARELLA EGG BAKE

yield: 6 SERVINGS

total time: 45 MINUTES

prep time: 10 MINUTES

cook time: 35 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS:

5 oz. organic fresh spinach (4 cups packed)
1-2 tsp. olive oil (depending on your pan)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella (I used a mozzarella blend from Costco; use regular or part-skim Mozzarella, your choice)
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
8 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use any all purpose seasoning mix that’s good with eggs)
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray an 8 1/2 inch by 12 inch glass or crockery casserole dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add spinach all at once, and stir just until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer spinach to the casserole dish, spreading it around so all the bottom of the dish is covered. Layer the grated cheese and sliced onions on top of the spinach.

Beat the eggs with Spike Seasoning (or other seasoning mix) and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. (I use only a tiny pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.) Pour the egg mixture over the spinach/cheese combination, and then use a fork to gently “stir” so the eggs, spinach, and cheese are evenly combined.

Bake about 35 minutes or until the mixture is completely set and starting to lightly brown. Let cool about 5 minutes before cutting. (The egg bake will settle down some as it cools.) Serve hot. This is good with sour cream. I also like a little Green Tabasco Sauce sprinkled on the top.
This can be cut into individual servings to keep in the fridge and microwaved for a quick breakfast during the week. Don’t microwave longer than 1-2 minutes or the eggs can get slightly rubbery.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  BISQUICK

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 No problem!  The recipe sound delicious and Gouda would be great In it as well!  Thank you. 

Easy! I skip adding the powdered sugar though when I make it. 

Chocolate Brownie Cookies Using Bisquick
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
10 mins
Total Time
20 mins

Make these easy fudgy chocolate brownie cookies for the perfect addition to your holiday cookie trays. Using Bisquick pancake mix to make them super soft and a boxed brownie mix to make them super fudgy, these cookies pack in the softness and flavor without tons of work.

Course: Dessert
Category: Cookie
Servings: 48 Cookies
Calories: 33 kcal

Ingredients
1 box dry Brownie Mix 18.3 oz box (Betty Crocker seems to work the best)
1.5 cups Bisquick
3 Tablespoons Butter Softened
3 Eggs
2 Teaspoons Water
3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar for rolling

Instructions
Combine the Brownie Mix and Bisquick. Once mixed, add the butter, eggs, and water to the bowl. Mix for about one minute or until all powder

disappears. What you will have is a THICK dough. This is normal. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for one hour to chill. **Chilling this dough is not mandatory, but not doing so will result in flatter cookies.

While chilling, put powdered sugar into a bowl (cereal bowl sized is fine). After chilling, scoop & roll the dough into one inch balls. Roll each ball in powdered sugar and place on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes. If your cookies do not look completely done at 9 minutes, take them out anyway. Over baking will result in hard, crunchy cookies. The cookies will continue to bake on the hot pan after taking them out of the oven. 

C1677D3F-F356-475E-8D92-ABF4815E2B43.jpeg

Next Ingredient: WHITE ASPARAGUS  (I have some now bu don’t know what to do with them!)

Esteemed Contributor

You can use it just like green asparagus!

Shrimp and Asparagus over Penne

Cook: 8 oz penne in boiling water.

Saute:  in 2 Tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic

8 oz asparagus

(cut into 1/4" pieces) Cook stalks 3 mins, add tips, cook another 3  mins.

Add:  1 fresh tomato chopped small

Cover and set aside.

Saute in: 2 Tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic and cook until golden.  Do not burn!

Add: 8 shrimp (peeled and deveined) and cook until pink.

Add veggies to shrimp.  Salt and pepper to taste. 

Pour wine over all if desired.  (Great without it)

Serve over a plate of cooked penne.  Beautiful and delicious dish!

Next ingredient:  Soy sauce

Honored Contributor

DRAGON NOODLES

These sweet, tangy, and spicy Dragon Noodles take only a few minutes to whip up and will kill your craving for take-out.

Total Cost $2.04 recipe / $1.04 serving
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS
4 oz. lo mein noodles $1.13
2 Tbsp butter $0.20
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
1 large egg $0.25
1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
1 Tbsp soy sauce $0.02
1 Tbsp sriracha rooster sauce $0.08
1 handful fresh cilantro $0.22
1 sliced green onion $0.15

INSTRUCTIONS
Begin to boil water for the noodles. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil for 5-7 minutes).

While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.

In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper to the butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off the heat.

When the noodles are tender, drain the water and then add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onions and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve!

i can’t stop eating this!!

93AF730C-0126-4152-A24D-EF08585B1CA7.jpeg

Next Ingredient: SUN-DRIED TOMATOES

Honored Contributor

This was my favorite meat loaf recipe from the time it was published (1996) until I started making Ina Garten's 1770 Meat Loaf a couple of years ago.

Herbed Meat Loaf with Sun-Dried Tomato Gravy

8 servings (serving size: 2 slices and 3 tablespoons gravy)

RECIPE BY COOKING LIGHT

Ingredients

1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil (about 24)

3 cups boiling water

Vegetable cooking spray

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (I use red, yellow or orange, hate green peppers)

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 (1-ounce) slice whole-wheat bread, torn into small pieces

2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

2 egg whites

1 3/4 pounds ultra-lean ground beef

How to Make It

Step 1
Combine tomatoes and boiling water in a bowl; cover and let stand 15 minutes or until softened. Drain well, and finely chop; set aside.

Step 2
Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside.

Step 3
Place bread in a large bowl. Drizzle milk over bread; toss well to moisten bread. Add tomatoes, onion mixture, cheese, and next 6 ingredients (cheese through egg whites); stir well. Crumble beef over tomato mixture, and stir just until blended.

Step 4
Preheat oven to 350°. Pack mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until meat loaf registers 170°. Let meat loaf stand in pan 10 minutes.

Step 5
Remove meat loaf from pan, and reserve drippings for Sun-dried Tomato Gravy, if desired. Cut loaf into 16 slices. Serve with Sun-dried Tomato Gravy.

Sun-Dried Tomato Gravy

How to Make It

Combine tomatoes and boiling water in a bowl; cover and let stand 15 minutes or until softened. Drain well, and finely chop.

Place flour in a small saucepan, and gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir in tomatoes, pan drippings, green onions, salt, basil, and pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk.

NEXT INGREDIENT: Coffee 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Coffee and Wine Stew

The Preparation

2.5 Pounds Stew Meat
3 Cups Coffee
1 Cup Beef Stock
1 1/2 Cup Mushrooms (Baby Bella)
2/3 Cup Red Wine (Merlot)
1 Medium Onion
3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil (grape seed oil works great too)
2 Tbsp. Capers
2 tsp. Garlic
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper

The Execution

Cube all stew meat, then thinly slice onions and mushrooms.

Bring 3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil to its smoking point in a pan on the stove.
Season beef with salt and pepper, then brown all of it in small batches, making sure that the pan isn't overcrowded.

Once all meat is browned, cook onions, mushrooms, and garlic in the remaining fat in the pan. Do this until onions are translucent.
Add coffee, beef stock, red wine, and capers to the vegetables and stir this mixture.

Add beef into the mixture, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
Cover and cook for 3 hours.

7070DCD1-E0AD-4BA3-8C20-D368128EFCD8.jpeg

Next Ingredient: A “COPYCAT” RECIPE OF YOUR CHOOSING

Respected Contributor

Sopie's Chopped Salad (Courtesy of Bobby Flay)

1 head of romaine lettuce, finely chopped, 1/2 cup cooked red beans, 1 cucumber, peeled and diced, 2 tomatoes diced, 1/2 cup fried blue corn tortillas, diced, 1/2 cup diced Monterey Jack cheese, 1/2 cup diced cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp Dillon mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper.

Toss all salad ingredients together in a medium bowl. MIx together the vinegar and the mustard. SLowly whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and serve.

We go to Mesa Grill often, just to get this salad and a burger. I have made it with regular tortilla chips and have even used canned beans on occasion.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

I forgot, for Sophie's Chopped Salad, years ago he used to put 1/2 cup chopped olives and 1/2 cup chick peas in the salad.

Next Ingredient - Sweet Chili Sauce

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.