Honored Contributor

Re: DECEMBER 2017 RECIPE GAME

Since we are not getting anything for Marzipan, I will give you a recipe for Almond Paste which is in the same family, just less sweet.

These are something we make in my family all the time.  And they are super easy, too.  They are always better 1-2 days later as the almond paste has time to rest.

LIDIA'S PIGNOLI COOKIES (Lidia Bastianich)

YIELD 30 cookies

ACTIVE TIME15 minutes

TOTAL TIME 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS

2 7-ounce tubes almond paste

1 cup sugar

2 large egg whites

finely grated zest of one orange

1½ cups whole pine nuts

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Crumble almond paste into the work bowl of a food processor and process until the paste is in fine crumbs. Sprinkle in the sugar with the motor running. Once the sugar is incorporated, add the egg whites and orange zest. Process to make a smooth dough, about 20 to 30 seconds. Spread the pine nuts on a plate. Form the dough into 2-tablespoon-sized balls by rolling in in between the palms of your hands, then roll the dough in the pine nuts until coated, then place on baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden and springy to the touch, about 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to cooling racks to cool completely.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  Oranges, Orange Juice or Orange Zest

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yay @VaBelle35 glad you found a recipe. I was about to give up!

Better Than Takeout Orange Chicken

Prep time
15 mins
Cook time
1 hour
Total time
1 hour 15 mins

There's no need to order out! This better than takeout orange chicken is ready to go in a little over an hour!

Author: Natalie
Yield: 4-6 servings

Ingredients

1 c. low sodium chicken broth
½ c. freshly squeezed orange juice though I use a prepared oj like Simply Orange
½ c. sugar
⅓ c. distilled white vinegar
¼ c. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. orange zest
1½ tsp. Sriracha
¼ tsp. freshly grated ginger
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. cornstarch or tapioca flour
1 tbsp. water

For the chicken:
1½ lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
¾ c. cornstarch or tapioca flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 c. vegetable oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, lightly spray a 9x13 inch glass pan, set aside.
In a medium size mixing bowl (or a 2 c. measuring cup), whisk together the chicken broth, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, orange zest, Sriracha, ginger, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, set aside.

Place the cubes of chicken into a bowl with the whisked eggs, toss the chicken (taking care to let the egg drip off it) into a large ziplock bag full of the cornstarch. Zip and shake until evenly coated.

Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Working in batches (3-4), add the chicken and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 1-2 minutes, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate.

Add the fried chicken to the prepared 9x13 pan. Whisk together a slurry of 1 tbsp. of cornstarch and 1 tbsp. of water, add to the sauce and then pour over the chicken. Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Remove and serve immediately.

Next Ingredient: BEEF BROTH

D352FEB7-FD5A-4848-B1D8-2DDE99584C9D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Rich Beef Barley Soup (Barefoot Contessa)

This is my favorite winter soup.

The one thing that amuses me about Ina's recipes are the serving sizes.  This recipe says it makes 6 servings.  If everyone gets their own tourine!  LOL  It makes a LOT but freezes well.  I always make half the recipe.

Total:  2 hr 35 min Prep:  15 min Cook:  2 hr 20 min
Yield:  6 servings Level:  Easy

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 2 pounds beef oxtails
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)
  • 2 cups (1/2-inch) diced carrots (4 carrots)
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 cup (1/2-inch) diced celery (2 stalks)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 10 cups canned beef broth
  • 1 cup pearled barley
Directions

Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset. Add the oxtails, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until browned all over. Remove the oxtails with a slotted spoon and reserve.

Add the leeks, carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to the fat in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until the vegetables start to brown. Tie the thyme sprigs together with kitchen string and add to the pot along with the bay leaves. Return the oxtails to the pot and add the broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Discard the thyme bundle and the bay leaves, and skim off the fat.

Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add the barley. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, drain, and set aside.

When the soup is ready, add the barley and cook the soup for another 15 or 20 minutes, until the barley is tender. Depending on the saltiness of the stock, the soup might need another teaspoon of salt and some pepper. Serve hot, with or without the oxtails.

NEXT INGREDIENT:  BAY LEAVES

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

8 Servings

1 (3 to 4 lb.) top chuck roast
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 beef bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
4 whole peppercorns
1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves, crushed
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups water
French or hoagie rolls

Remove and discard all visible fat from roast.  Place roast in a crock-pot. Combine soy sauce, bouillon cube and spices; pour over roast.  Add water. Cover and cook on low heat 10 to 12 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove meat from broth; shred with forks and keep warm.  Discard bay leaf.  Strain broth; skim off fat.  Pour broth into small cups for dipping. Serve warm on desired bread.

Variation:  If desired, put cheese on the bread before adding the meat.  Put sandwiches on a baking pan and heat in a 350° oven for about 5 minutes, just until the cheese starts to melt.

Next Ingredient:  Chocolate cake mix
Honored Contributor

S’more Cobbler Cake

Gooseberry Patch Autumn in a Jiffy

I love Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. Such fun, whimsical Illustrations and down home cooking

Prep time: 00:15, Cook time: 00:30, Total time: 00:45
Yield: 12 servings

Ingredients:
5 oz pkg cook & serve chocolate pudding
3 cups whole milk
12 graham cracker squares
3/4 cup miniature semi sweet chocolate chips
15 oz box chocolate cake mix, dry
1/2 cup cold butter, sliced
10 oz pkg miniature marshmallows
whipped cream
Instructions:

Prepare chocolate pudding with milk on stove top as directed on package. Allow to cool in pot for 15 minutes.

Spread pudding evenly into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Lay graham crackers evenly in pudding and sprinkle with 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Sprinkle dry cake mix over pudding and dot with slices of butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and stir making sure any dry cake mix spots have be moistened.

Sprinkle evenly with marshmallows and remaining chocolate chips. Bake an additional 5 - 8 minutes or until marshmallows are puffy and brown. Allow cobbler to cool 15 minutes before serving.

Next Ingredient: CONFECTIONERS SUGAR OR POWDERED SUGAR

74B17A45-ADC8-4F36-9FE3-383B91934831.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are definitely worth a little extra time to make......

APRICOT TARTS

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 pkg. (3 oz size) Cream Cheese, softened...if you can find it, but      

you will need extra for topping so I use 8 oz size

1 cup all-purpose flour

3/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots

3/4 cup water

1/3 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons orange marmalade

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Topping:

2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened

1 tablespoon butter, softened 

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup CONFECTIONER'S SUGAR

Blend butter, cream cheese and flour.  Chill for 1 hour.  Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the apricots and water to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.  Drain. Add the pecans, sugar, marmalade, cinnamon and cloves; set aside.  Shape dough into 24 balls.  Press onto the bottom and up the sides of greased mini-muffin cups. Spoon apricot mixture into cups.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until browned.  Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.  For topping, combine cream cheese and butter.  Stir in the vanilla and mix until smooth.  Beat in the CONFECTIONER'S SUGAR.  Spoon a dollop onto each tart before serving.

NEXT INGREDIENT ....... CHILI SAUCE

Honored Contributor

I had never heard of chili sauce before I saw this recipe.  I apparently read it in a doctor's office and ripped it out of the magazine because it's from LHJ and I never subscribed to that. ;/

The patties freeze very well, so I often make a double batch and freeze them in serving sized with my Foodsaver for a easy weeknight meal as a bottle of chili sauce lasts forever and you can always use bottled lime juice in a pinch.

Ingredients: 

1 small onion; roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 green chile or jalapeno; seeded
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; cut into pieces
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 egg whites
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
Sweet chili sauce
Lime wedges

In a food processor, combine onion, garlic, ginger and chile and pulse until finely chopped.  Add chicken, cilantro and fish sauce and pulse until well blended but not quite pureed.  Transfer to a bowl and stir in egg whites and bread crumbs.

Heat broiler to high with a rack 4 inches from heat.  Line 2 baking sheets with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.  Coat hands with cooking spray and shapte 24 patties, about 1/2 inch thick.  Place on baking sheets.

broil each batch until patties are lightly browned, about 4 min.  Then turn over and broil 4 min. more.  

Serve with chili sauce and lime wedges.

Next Ingredient:  EGG WHITES

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Heirloom Divinity

Be still my heart...

Divinity Recipe

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
35 mins
Total time
45 mins

Serves: 8

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
½ cup white corn syrup
½ cup cold water
2 egg whites, room temperature
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Instructions
Heat the sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Using a candy thermometer, heat the mixture until it reaches 250º F, a hard ball stage.

As the syrup is cooking, whip egg whites, along with a pink of salt, until stiff peaks have formed.

When the sugar syrup has reached hard ball stage (250º F), remove it from the heat and begin to slowly pour it into the beaten egg whites, whipping together at a high speed.

Add the vanilla and continue whipping the mixture on high until it holds its shape and does not fall back onto itself, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in chopped pecans, if using.

Using two teaspoons and working quickly, drop scoops of divinity onto sheets of waxed paper that has been placed on top of cooling racks. If the divinity begins to harden, add a few drops of warm water to help loosen it while working.

Allow the divinity to dry and harden. This usually takes a couple of hours to overnight. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Next Ingredient: RED PEPPER FLAKES 

9CFA8C7D-7694-47A0-9DF1-B1E6D73FA7B4.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Pasta Pomodoro

Ingredients:

8-10 Roma tomatoes ( I have used Cherry tomatoes)
8-10 leaves fresh basil
2-3 cloves garlic
Red pepper flakes to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
pound of pasta  (I use rigatoni)
Pecorino Romano cheese

Easy Cooking Instructions:

Before you start… Put water on to boil for pasta. 
Cut tomatoes in eighths; set aside.  Slice garlic thin.  Cut basil into strips.

Add olive oil, basil, and garlic to large skillet pan. 

Make sure the pan is deep enough to hold all the
tomatoes and the pasta that you will add later. 

Simmer for a minute or two.  Do not let the garlic brown
Add the tomatoes. 
Cover and cook 15 minutes or until tomatoes become a sauce. 
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cook the pasta while tomatoes are cooking. 
When pasta is ready add directly to tomato sauce in pan. 

Mix and serve.  Garnish with fresh basil and cheese. 

Next ingredient:  Sweet potatoes

Regular Contributor

6 to 8 Servings

6 small sweet potatoes (about 3 lb.)
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
3 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. vanilla

Peel sweet potatoes and cut into cubes.  Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Drain water and mash the potatoes with an electric mixer.  Combine sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients, mixing with an electric mixer until smooth.  Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.  Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. 

Next Ingredient:  Cloves