Respected Contributor

Cushaw squash, how to cook it?

Finally found one, How do you cook yours to make puree for pies or puddings?? I have seen boiling or baking it.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cushaw squash, how to cook it?

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc  My mother cooked Cushaws.  She called it "Candied Cushaw." She peeled and cut them into chunks, a little larger than a dice, put them in a baking dish with a little water, with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg on top and baked, probably at 350 degrees, until the topping carmelized and the Cushaw was softened, but not too soft. For puddings or pies, I think I would steam and puree them.  Hope this helps and you enjoy your Cushaw!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Cushaw squash, how to cook it?

[ Edited ]

It is pronounced coo-shaw. I was told to cut it from stem to bottom in half. Take out the seeds and yucky stuff. Put in a roasting pan flesh side up. Sprinkle with a little salt.Put a little water in the pan and cover with foil. Bake at 450* for 30 minutes or until fork tender. When done just scoop out pulp. The squash I had made 4 -  2 cup containers. Search on pinterest for cushaw squash recipes. I got an orange striped one and it had a nice orange pulp. The green striped ones have a creamy pulp. My granddaddy use to make Cushaw pudding. I'm going to make pies later, so I froze the pulp.