Respected Contributor

Cucumber, Peach, and Basil Salad

I found this on Simply Recipes, and enjoyed it for dinner tonight.  For a larger meal, a roasted chicken sandwich and a crisp white wine would be ideal.  Or, as is, would also be a refreshing lunch on a hot Summer day.  

Cucumber, Peach, and Basil Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes Yield: Serves 4

1 (12-14-inch) English cucumber, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 fresh peaches, cut into 1-inch chunks

For the vinaigrette:
2 Tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
Zest of one lime
1 Tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 Tablespoon honey
4 large fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Prep the vegetables: Add the chopped peaches and cucumbers to a large bowl.

Make the vinaigrette: In the bowl or a mini food processor or blender, combine the oil, vinegar, lime zest and juice, honey, basil, salt and pepper. Pulse until the basil is finely chopped and the vinaigrette is completely emulsified.    *Blending this vinaigrette in a food processor allows all of the ingredients to disperse most evenly. While the dressing may be whisked by hand instead, the flavors will not be as pronounced.

Dress the produce: Pour the vinaigrette over the peach and cucumber mixture. Stir to coat evenly.

Serve: Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with torn basil leaves and serve immediately.

Substitutions: Swap the basil in the vinaigrette out for mint, cilantro, or tarragon. If you don’t have peaches, try nectarines or plums. No cucumbers? Try leafy greens and whatever crunchy vegetables you have on hand, like fennel or even string beans. For a spicy kick, swap the subtle black pepper for a few slices of jalapeño. If you’d like to add cheese, try briny feta or creamy goat cheese.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cucumber, Peach, and Basil Salad

Hi @IamMrsG !!

Hope you are well!

Thank you for this salad!  I would have never thought to put cukes with peaches!

I have nectarines that need to get used so I will be making this very soon!

Oh and I have feta to use....as well as beans from the garden.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions you listed!

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Hello @RespectLife !  You're always so friendly and supportive.  It's a pleasure to hear from you.  I sincerely hope you and yours are well and happy.  I'm doing "OK."

You know, to be honest, I too was "on the fence" about trying this recipe.  It does indeed seem to be an odd mix of flavors and textures.  But there was cucumber leftover from the Chicken Hummus Bowl recipe plus some basil going to waste, so I figured, "What the heck."   I am glad I did!  I thought  it was a good, refreshing dish. (Also, I omitted the salt from the vinaigrette so I could use Feta as a topper. HeartFeta)   A keeper, IMHO.  

Take care and stay safe, Respectlife.   --Mrs. G

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

I am def making it this weekend....thanks for the tip on the salt as I def will be using feta!

I have a basil house plant all year long so I love fresh dishes like this to use it in.

I'll let you know next week how I do with it!

Respected Contributor

2nd attempt, as the first one got attached to another thread.   Woman Embarassed

@RespectLife   I'll hope for good results for you.

BTW, I just saw another interesting recipe for a peach based salad--Peach & Burrata Caprese on delish(dot)com.  The description reads, "...peaches, burrata (a creamy mozzarella), basil, topped with candied pecans, drizzled with spicy honey.  Sweet and savory--fine line between appetizer and dessert."     Ooooh   Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious.  I didn't put as much honey as it called for as we don't like things very sweet.  I didn't have limes so I used lemon.  I could have used more basil, I guess my basil is not as strong as some.  Thanks for a delicious recipe!

Super Contributor

On one hand this sounds gross, on the other hand it sounds very differnt and worth a try.  I'll def give it a shot.

Respected Contributor

@m0rgan   Thank you for bothering to let me know your result and opinion.  I'm glad you liked it.   BTW, did you see the reference to Peach & Burrata on delish(dot)com?  I thought that sounded interesting, too.

@bigtraps  You're right about it sounding like a strange mix.  It did to me, too, but that's the benefit in being flexible and willing to try something new.  You can learn a little about yourself in the process as well, textures and flavors or combinations that you like or dislike.  And that experience can be carried over to other cooking and dishes. 

I hope this turns out well for you.

Respected Contributor

I have everything to make this except I need a lime!  Tomorrow!  Thanks for posting this, I can't wait to make it.

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG  I sent this recipe to a friend and she raved about it.  She said she can't wait to make it again.  This is a real winner!  Thanks again.