Honored Contributor

Re: Cucumber, Peach, and Basil Salad

@IamMrsG wrote:

2nd attempt, as the first one got attached to another thread.   Woman Embarassed

@RespectLife   I'll hope for good results for you.

BTW, I just saw another interesting recipe for a peach based salad--Peach & Burrata Caprese on delish(dot)com.  The description reads, "...peaches, burrata (a creamy mozzarella), basil, topped with candied pecans, drizzled with spicy honey.  Sweet and savory--fine line between appetizer and dessert."     Ooooh   Woman Very Happy

@IamMrsG 

Oh my!  This one sounds like a winner too!  SO different!  Thank you!

I ended up w/ too many leftovers, so I am rescheduling my salad for Weds/thurs!

Thanks again for this new one!

Have you seen Burrata in regular grocery stores?  Weg has a nice Specialty Cheese shop, I am hoping they carry it.  I have never used it before.

Respected Contributor

@m0rgan   For fear of seeming gluttonous, there was a time I was afraid to admit my love for food.  I'm older and (a little bit) wiser now, so realize what a blessing the appreciation actually is. 

We often talk about cooking with Love, but as you did with your friend, the generosity of passing along a good meal is a loving gesture.  It's good to hear that she enjoyed the salad, thank you for sharing that.  I hope she continues the sharing process. 

@RespectLife   We don't have a Wegman's here, but we do have Heinen's, rated one of the top five groceries in the country.  If you will believe me, the proximity of a Heinen's was one of the top three items on my Wish List when we were house shopping.  

I have not used, or even tasted Burrata before, but if Heinen's has it, this salad (Peach & Burrata Caprese on delish(dot)com) is going on my menu very soon.  I'll make a deal with you--whichever of us gets to try it first comes back to report to the other.  Woman Very Happy

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

Deal!

I goggled it and my Wegman's supposedly carries their version in the Cheese Shop!

If not, google says you can sub fresh mozzarella but I would really like to give Buratta a try since I have never had it.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

Ten thumbs up!

We love this !

I used nectarines, kinda nice sub since I don't care for fuzz on peaches.

The dressing is fantastic and I would use that in a lot of dishes.

The crunch of the cukes played so well with the sweetness of the nectarines.

I used fresh mint as my garnish since I have a plant .

I would def make this for gatherings!!

Thanks again for sharing!

Eventually when I get to Wegmans, I will try the burrata recipe next.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife   I am so glad to hear you and yours liked the salad.  Thank you for letting me know, but more importantly, thank you for trusting my recommendation.  I understand what a strange combination it seems.  

Besides for the burrata, from the Fried Rice thread, @sabatini now has me on another item search--Chinese sausage.  I checked my local groceries, though, and neither of them seem to carry it (the sausage).  Hope to have better luck with the cheese.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Contributor

This sounds so delicious! I am going to get the ingredients and make it this weekend! Thank you!

Respected Contributor

I made the salad and it was delicious, not only that but it was pretty, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @IamMrsG .  This recipe sounds delish!  I'm gonna try it next week - it's gonna get wicked humid so this will be a good no-cook meal.

One question though, probably a dumb question, but do I have to peel the skin off the peaches or just leave on?

Honored Contributor

I'm going to try this. It sounds delicious.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I found this on Simply Recipes, and enjoyed it for dinner tonight.  For a larger meal, a roasted chicken sandwich and a crisp white wine would be ideal.  Or, as is, would also be a refreshing lunch on a hot Summer day.  

Cucumber, Peach, and Basil Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes Yield: Serves 4

1 (12-14-inch) English cucumber, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 fresh peaches, cut into 1-inch chunks

For the vinaigrette:
2 Tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
Zest of one lime
1 Tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 Tablespoon honey
4 large fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Prep the vegetables: Add the chopped peaches and cucumbers to a large bowl.

Make the vinaigrette: In the bowl or a mini food processor or blender, combine the oil, vinegar, lime zest and juice, honey, basil, salt and pepper. Pulse until the basil is finely chopped and the vinaigrette is completely emulsified.    *Blending this vinaigrette in a food processor allows all of the ingredients to disperse most evenly. While the dressing may be whisked by hand instead, the flavors will not be as pronounced.

Dress the produce: Pour the vinaigrette over the peach and cucumber mixture. Stir to coat evenly.

Serve: Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with torn basil leaves and serve immediately.

Substitutions: Swap the basil in the vinaigrette out for mint, cilantro, or tarragon. If you don’t have peaches, try nectarines or plums. No cucumbers? Try leafy greens and whatever crunchy vegetables you have on hand, like fennel or even string beans. For a spicy kick, swap the subtle black pepper for a few slices of jalapeño. If you’d like to add cheese, try briny feta or creamy goat cheese.

@IamMrsG  oh great. . . . now I am going to have to eat basil as the alternatives (especially cilantro) are in my no fly zone . . . Smiley Wink

Seriously I don't know what my problem is with basil but I have determined I don't like it but probably eat it all the time!!! . . . sigh, ugh.

The hunt has now commenced for fresh peaches and cukes! . . . Smiley Very Happy