Respected Contributor

Crowd-sized recipe to keep the canned soup biz in business

[ Edited ]

This recipe is published in a homegrown rural Tennesse cookbook from many years ago.  My opinion borders on "somewhat amused" by it.

I found the book (very unprofessionally written by contributors who were just  simple home cooks) at the Goodwill store one day after dropping off donations.  It contains some interesting types of dishes.

I thought this one was really over the top,--especially for sodium levels-- but maybe it works well for the "crowd cooking" it was designed for..........

FIVE SOUP CHICKEN

10 chicken breasts, split

1 can Cheddar Cheese Soup

1 can Cream of Celery Soup

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 can Cream of Chicken Soup

1 envelope onion soup mix

Blend all soups undiluted until well blended.  

Arrange chicken breasts  in large baking pan in single layer.

Pour soup mixture over chicken.

Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Serve over rice or noodles.

Valued Contributor

Re: Crowd-sized recipe to keep the canned soup biz in business

Sounds like a version of Girl Scout Soup.  

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

Our church used to make that when we would host Conferences!  It truly does feed a crowd!  We used to serve about 150 people and made several sheets of it.

Except we always added broccoli...as if that could possibly 'healthy up' this dish...but hey, we added veggies.  LOL

We served it over rice...it was always well received and honestly, tasted pretty good. We also had salad and french bread.  It was very easy to do.  Some years, the ladies would all cook chickens at home and bring in just the meat.  They layered the meat on the bottom, then veg and covered it with the soup mixture.

I'm talking MANY years ago...canned soup was the bomb then and no one knew about sodium levels!

I don't cook like this myself, but for a huge crowd?  You can't go wrong.  You can go healthier...but the taste reminds me of how my mom cooked!

Super Contributor

Sounds interesting.  What other recipes are in that book.  Is there a year on it?

I think all those soups come in low sodium now. Not that I'm going to try it.

Valued Contributor

hey now those soups come in low sodium versions!lol

Honored Contributor

That sounds like something my mother would make!  

Honored Contributor

Creamy .... I wouldn't make it but I would try it

Valued Contributor

Scout Soup, each girl would bring a can of their favorite soup, we would put all of it in one huge pot and heat.  This was the fun after an afternoon leaving pinecones the girls had put peanut butter and rolled in seeds.  It would be freezing in Indiana but the girls worked so hard on those pinecones for the hungry birds it was fulfilling to them.  We would go back the the Air Force Base Chapel, we used their kitchen, for that wonderful bowl of soup, hot chocolate with marshmallows and brownies.  Job well done.

Honored Contributor

It wasn't unusual for the church basement ladies to cook this up for a crowd. 

Regular Contributor

We have a large family reunion this summer and must prepare a meal.  When it is my night I am going to make this and serve with roasted potatoes and carrots. 

LOL on the Girl Scout stew.  I was a leader for 14 years and ate it many times.  Easy and cheap camp meal.  The girls could either bring a canned vegetable or can or soup along with a piece of fruit to be added to a fuit salad.  We also made lots of bird feeders from pine cones Smiley Happy