Respected Contributor

This is no special variation of the classic, but is shared here for anyone who is looking for inspiration to add a little variety to their menu. With a small salad, one sandwich should be plenty.

Croque-Monsieur (with Croque-Madame variation included)
For 2 large servings

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup milk
Generous pinch of ground nutmeg
1 bay leaf

4  slices firm white sandwich bread

Dijon mustard
4  slices Black Forest ham
6 (to 8) ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
2 Tablespoons melted butter

For Croque-Madame:  1 egg per sandwich

Preheat broiler.

Make Sandwiches:  Place 4 bread slices on work surface. Spread each with Dijon mustard, crust-to-crust.  Top each with ham and a generous handful of Gruyère, reserving some cheese for topping later. Top with remaining bread.  

Heat a heavy large skillet over med-low heat. Brush both sides of sandwiches with melted butter, crust-to-crust.  Add to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to small baking sheet.

Make Bechamel Sauce:  Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Add nutmeg and bay leaf. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until sauce thickens, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

(For Croque-Madame)  Fry one egg per sandwich, sunny side up.  (Egg can be slightly undercooked because it's going under the broiler.)

Spoon sauce, and if using, slide a fried egg atop, then add reserved grated cheese over sandwiches.  Broil until cheese begins to brown, about 2 minutes.

Wine:  We had a Pinot Grigio.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Croque-Monsieur / -Madame

@IamMrsGsaid:

"With a small salad, one sandwich should be plenty."

thumper.gif

Another delicious recipe, @IamMrsG!

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@sabatini  Wanna know the truth?  DH ate two. 

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sabatini  Wanna know the truth?  DH ate two. 

HAHAHAHA! That made my day.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I think mine is similar. Everyone has been looking forward to our "snow day staple"!

Re: Ideas on using pannini grill

Hi - I learned about this sandwich when I studied in France years ago. When I got a panini, it was the first thing I made. Everyone loves it, and my DS who's in college has already asked if I will make it in the next couple of days after he's home!

Croque Monsieur (makes 4)

Bechamel sauce

1 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1 Tbsp. flour

3/4 c. milk

pinch of cayenne pepper

salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until the mixture is golden brown. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Simmer and keep stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Turn off heat and add cayenne, and if needed, salt and pepper. Set aside. 

8 slices French or sourdough bread, sliced thickly

1/4 c. oil

3 tsp. Dijon mustard

1/4 lb. Gruyere cheese, sliced thinly

8 slices deli ham

Preheat panini grill. Spread Dijon on 4 of the bread slices and top with 2 slices of ham. Spread the sauce evenly on top of the ham. Layer cheese on top and top with another slice of bread. Oil both outer sides of sandwich and cook on panini press about 5 minutes until sandwich is golden and crispy.

For a Croque Madame, add a fried egg to top of sandwich! (DD likes it this way - I do too!)

(I always double the recipe for the sauce, as we all like extra to dip our sandwiches in!) 

Respected Contributor

Yikes! Sounds delish, but that runs between 1750 and 2000 calories, as prepared, so nearly 1000 calories per sandwich. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@noodleann  You're right in that the sandwich is delicious.  

Your numbers, however, exceed those I calculated by a few hundred. Additionally, the calories are easy enough to control by reducing the amount of Bechamel and Gruyère consumed.  

Regardless, the beauty of this forum is that any recipe shared here can be easily passed by if it does not meet one's expectations. 

Respected Contributor

Oh, it meets my expectations, it sounds wonderful. I love food like this and appreciate you posting the recipe. It's a wonderful dish when you want a lunch splurge.  No doubt it's much tastier than a Big Mac Grand, which is about 860 calories.

Trusted Contributor

Oh so good....I can remember Julia Childs' recipe for this, and just became hooked.....Woman Happy

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......