Honored Contributor

Re: Crockpot Christmas dinner???

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of browning the beef roast first and then deglazing the pan and using that liquid in the Crockpot. It should add some extra flavor. If things work out as expected I'll probably give the Crockpot a try. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Having eaten Turkey and Ham at Thanksgiving and at our church dinner we are ready for something different at Christmas. WE have chili and other homemade soups along with cheese balls, raw vegetable tray, pickled okra and dessert. These can be prepared in advance, and taste better the next day. Enjoy your time together!

Super Contributor

Crock pot is a GREAT idea! OR another suggestion - a pre-prepared casserole meal like Shepherd's Pie. We make it every year - you can even make it a week or so in advance and freeze it. Then just pop it into the oven and you're all set - meat, veggies and potatoes all in one. Throw in a green salad, dinner rolls and you're good to go!

Honored Contributor

On 12/7/2014 gardenman said:

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of browning the beef roast first and then deglazing the pan and using that liquid in the Crockpot. It should add some extra flavor. If things work out as expected I'll probably give the Crockpot a try. Thanks again for the suggestions.

That's the way I do it. I brown a eye round round put in crockpot, deglaze the pan with beef broth & pour over roast, add a can of cream of mushroom soup, some onions, potatoes & carrots & cook on low all day. You will already have some nice gravy. YUM!!!

I have also seen recipes on the forums cooking turkey & ham in a crockpot.

Honored Contributor

We also enjoy non-traditional dishes for Christmas. I do think a pot roast or any crock pot dish is a good idea. I prefer meats browned before cooking, I even brown stew meat.
Respected Contributor

I agree with doing a roast with carrots, red potatoes, onions and celery. You could do pearl onions if you like with baby carrots and cut the potatoes to quarters. I would serve with mac and cheese, green bean casserole, and dessert. I nice homey meal without issues of being in the kitchen after they get to your house.

Great, now I want to do a roast.

Honored Contributor

Retta Jo, you just gave me a new recipe to try. How do you add the flour? What brand and type of turkey breast do you use?
Contributor

I saw Food Network on Friday and saw this recipe for pot roast http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/geoffrey-zakarian/new-england-pot-roast.html

Thought it was finished off in a crock pot, but in fact, cooks on stove top for 2 1/2 hours. I don't know why you couldn't put it in a crockpot to finish off. If you follow the link, you will see that it has 5 star ratings.

Contributor

Mindy D....I just used a turkey breast...any brand should work...make sure it is a turkey breast and not a turkey roast. When it is done....remove the breast and pour what is remaining in the crockpot into a saucepan....use about 1/4 cup of flour and enough water to shake up really well....add to saucepan and whisk flour mixture and simmer on low/med heat until to desired consistency....at this point add enough Kitchen Bouquet to get the desired color for your gravy....I don't like pale looking gravy....I like it to have a nice brown color..choice is yours.

Respected Contributor

I just made a pot roast for the first time today. It was delicious. I didn't do it in a crock pot. The recipe I used was from the Food Network by Ree Drummond (Perfect Pot Roast).

She cooks it low and slow so depending upon weight of the roast, it can cook up to 4 hours. We like potatoes with ours, so the last 1/2 hour I added the potatoes. If you don't mind leaving the house with the oven on, you could easily do this.

Admittedly I do play with my recipes. I added celery. You could add the potatoes before you leave the house and they should be OK. Just need to make sure you have enough liquid (juice) in the cooking vessel. I didn't thicken mine. Add yummy rolls and your salad and I think you will be set. My recommendation for a festive looking dessert is Strawberry jello pretzel salad.