Honored Contributor

Crockpot Christmas dinner???

I typically host my brother and his family for Christmas dinner and this year he's having surgery before Christmas and won't be able to drive here, so if they're coming (and his kids really, really want to come) I've got to go and pick them up. That will take 35-50 minutes (depending on how ready they are to go when I get there) and that means whatever I cook for dinner has to have that long of a window where I don't need to do anything to it. The thought occurred to me that a Crockpot might be a good option for such a meal. Maybe a beef roast and some vegetables plopped in there early in the morning then allowed to just slowly cook all day and then when I pick them up, get them back here and get the gift exchanging done, I can simply pull out the food, add some fresh dinner rolls, some pre-prepared side dishes and be good to go. Has anyone done this and does anyone have any good recipes/timetables for such a meal? I've never used a Crockpot before, so this is all new to me. Thanks.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Crockpot Christmas dinner???

I think a potroast in the crockpot is a great idea. Many here will say to use lipton onion soup but I prefer not to as that is VERY SALTY. I brown the meat on my stove first as the crockpot does notr brown meat then I put in my crockpot a can of mushroom soup - half can of beef broth some dried onion and Worcestershire sauce. Add salt & pepper and garlic powder to the meat and put it on top. You can peel your potatoes and put them around it or not and I like to also put carrots around the meat - then I have my whole meal all done at once. In a crockpot - if you need to thicken the gravy - use cornstarch instead of flour and add it about 20 to 30 min before the end - just about 1T in some water and stir it in. The mushroom soup mixes with the juices from the meat to make a very nice gravy as the meat cooks.

Esteemed Contributor

We each bring something to my parents house on Christmas Eve. We don't do a sit down dinner. The kids were to excited to sit.

Crockpot items are: Polish sausage, meatballs, wings. We usually have some mini-sandwiches from the deli, a shrimp ring. Then of course desserts and chip & dips.

Honored Contributor

You could also put a big old ham (spiral sliced) in the oven on low, covered just before you left. The house would smell fabulous when you walk in and hams are so non-messy to serve and great for little biscuit or bread sandwiches and leftovers. The reason I'd suggest a ham is that it is SOOOO easy to serve, no juices or messes on people's plates, no spilling after it's served and EASY to keep snacking on for days!

They go in a low oven for about 15 minutes a pound as I remember.

Esteemed Contributor

Crockpot pot roast is the best. As for me, I do not brown the roast first and I do use dry Lipton Onion soup mix and a cooking bag. I do not find the soup mix too salty and I am one that watches my salt intake. Toss in small potatoes and baby carrots. I mainly use the cooking bag to make clean up easier. I add the soup mix after I have added the potatoes and carrots and sprinkle over the meat and veggies. I keep the crock pot on low for six to eight hours. A perfect pot roast for our family is when you can pull it apart with a fork.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure that would work well for you. Brown the meat first. De-glaze the pan you use with a little water and add that to the crockpot.

If you are buying a crockpot, my advise is, buy one that is oval shaped and a minimum of 6 quart size.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

I love to make pot roast in the crock pot. I don't brown the meat first, and it always comes out perfect! I make mine with an envelope of powdered ranch dressing & tomato (or V-8) juice, and it is the best!! Always a big hit and couldn't be easier.

You can do turkey breast tenderloin or pork tenderloin in the crock pot, too. So easy to make, and the meat is always tender and moist.

You can make mashed potatoes or baked potatoes (or sweet potatoes) in the crock pot as well, if you have more than one crock pot. So many of the side dishes and dessert can be made ahead of time as well.

I think you can put together a delicious meal with very little effort. It sounds like your brother & his family are lucky to have you in their lives! Merry Christmas!!

Super Contributor

Gardenman, it sounds like you have a lot of nice suggestions here. A crockpot dinner sounds like the ideal solution for you. How kind of you to pick up your brother and his family so you can all be together for Christmas.

I love ham in a crockpot. It does not have to be an expensive cut of ham. Even a "picnic" ham turns out tasty in a crockpot...with some cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. Mmmmmm....going to have to make that one of these days...maybe after the holidays when we just want to get back to some regular home cookin'!

Enjoy your time together with your family!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

Christmas with you will be nice because you're so thoughtful! I only have one brother and he's far away, but it would be nice to be doing this for/with him and his family. While ham and roast are both delicious, for some reason, I think of ham as more of a holiday choice than a pot roast, but that won't make it taste any better! Smile After reading the suggestions, I'm thinking ham, macaroni and cheese or potatoes, sweet and/or mashed white, and Brussels Sprouts or Broccoli. A little cold decorated (with cinnamon candies) applesauce would taste good, too.

Anyway, have a good time and best wishes to all your family.

Contributor

I made a turkey breast in the crockpot for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful!

Slow Cooker Turkey Breast and Gravy

3-6 lb turkey breast

2 pkgs turkey gravy mix'

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 3/4 cup water

1/4 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp pepper

Whisk together gravy mix, soup, water and seasonings in a bowl, pour into crockpot..add turkey. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 Hrs.

All I did when it was done is to thicken the liquid with a little flour and water....also added a little Kitchen Bouquet for a nice color.

The gravy is to die for!