Respected Contributor

Pancho, I use Mrs. Butterworth syrup with, pineapple slices or tidbits and jar cherries. I also use Mrs. Butterworth in my sweet potato's.

Honored Contributor

This is a recipe I used once for warming/cooking a ham in crock-pot. (May have gotten it here a few years ago.)   I did not cook as long as recipe recommends.  I thought it was too long.  But, it came out very good.

Spray crock pot.

4-6 lb. ham.....place in crock pot.

Mix together......1/2 cup apple juice

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup raisins

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour the above over ham.  Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou

My Crock pot does not boil.

It would have to be on high for over 4, 5 or more hours for that to happen.

Respected Contributor

hopi, It will boil if you put enough liquid.

Honored Contributor

There is just one thing I would like to highlight is that if you have an older crock pot they cook at a lower temperature than newer models so recipes may need to be adjusted.  Here is an article from a terrific site that explains the crock pot evolution:

https://www.thespruce.com/are-hotter-cooking-crockpots-good-or-bad-479985

Respected Contributor

Re: Crock pot ham

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou

@tulips

@hopi

I have bought and used many  "already fully-cooked", spiral-sliced hams over the years.  I get very good results by following the enclosed warming instructions for the hams to the letter.  You can always opt   to serve the already-cooked ham as-is out of the package.

The  option to warm in oven does remove excess fat and renders some rich-tasting  lean ham that falls off the bone.  We prefer  it that way.  The crockpot probably woudn't work for this type of ham.

Can't imagine boiling an already-cooked ham and wonder if those who prefer that method know the spiral, sliced ham is already cooked when purchased at the store?

Warming instructions for the spiral hams I purchase generally are as follows:

First, tightly cover ham in foil in a baking pan and bake at recommended  low temperature until fully warmed interior temp is reached. (This step takes about 2 hours for the size of hams that I purchase, but package will specify per pound.)

Remove ham from oven, remove from foil, (and discard the very large amount of excess liquid and fat which inevitably cooks out of the ham).

Then raise oven temp to recommended level (usually over 400 degrees) , prepare glaze packet with a little water  in a saucepot, coat the ham and roast in oven for about 10 minutes.

I would save my crockpot for keeping a large supply of mashed potatoes or other side dish ready for dinner, while the ham finishes in the oven.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all your responses!  Looks like the jury is out here too.  Guess I'll decide on Christmas morning!