Honored Contributor

Crock Pot Apple Cranberry Dump Cake

I may do this with fresh strawbverries and blueberries! 

From Betty Crocker

Microwave Apple Cranberry Dump Cake

4      cups sliced apples (4 medium) 

cup fresh or frozen cranberries

teaspoon vanilla

1/2

cup packed light brown sugar

teaspoons ground cinnamon

box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix

1/2

cup butter, melted

Whipped cream, as desired

Directions

• 1Grease slow cooker with butter or cooking spray.
  • 2Add sliced apples, cranberries, vanilla, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon to slow cooker; toss to combine. In separate bowl, mix dry cake mix and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over fruit. Drizzle with melted butter.
  • 3Cover and cook on High heat setting about 3 hours or until fruit is bubbling at edges. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Crock Pot Apple Cranberry Dump Cake

@ECBG  I've found with these "dump" recipes, they come out better if you mix the butter with the cake mix in a bowl. Otherwise, some of it stays powdery and the texture isn't consistent.  What do you think? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG

Thanks for sharing this recipe!   Have never made a dump cake in the crock pot.  Do you think this would work if my apples were frozen too?   I have several bags of apples I put up last fall in the freezer and would like some new ways to use them up. 

Honored Contributor

@mustang66ladyIt would work, but you're not supposed to try to cook frozen things in the crock pot.  I'd thaw them in the fridge.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mustang66lady wrote:

@ECBG

Thanks for sharing this recipe!   Have never made a dump cake in the crock pot.  Do you think this would work if my apples were frozen too?   I have several bags of apples I put up last fall in the freezer and would like some new ways to use them up. 

@mustang66lady,That's four ounces of liquid.  Maybe if the liquid butter was "layered" in with the mix where it wasn't actually incorporated.  Extra liquid might keep the baking powder from making the cake rise.  These recipies are done in Betty Crocker test kitchens until they get the right balance.  They're food scientists. I had the same training they did, but we split and I went a different course of study.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree @Kachina624.  I've only made a dump cake twice, but both times it had powdery areas.  Your idea would take care of that issue.

Respected Contributor

I've never made a Dump Cake in the slow cooker but have in the oven.  I have never melted the butter to put on top, but cut the butter into pieces and arrange on top of the powdered cake. I don't have any "dry" spots on my cake.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@mustang66ladyIt would work, but you're not supposed to try to cook frozen things in the crock pot.  I'd thaw them in the fridge.

@ECBG

Thanks for your input.  I'm intrigued making one of these in the crockpot and am thinking I would defrost the apple and drain them before using them.  Was just questioning the texture vs. using fresh.  Have a safe and peaceful weekend!