Valued Contributor

Creamy Chicken, shrimp, etc for puff pastry shell

I am planning a ladies luncheon at my house and could use some help with finding a recipe. I am having a conjealed salad with cranberries that I found here, green beans almondine and am looking for a cream mixture to put in those frozen puff pastry shells. I found a southern living recipe with chicken and ham. I went to allrecipes but couldn't really find much.

So do you have a recipe for a creamy mixture to serve in a puff pastry shell? I'd love it if you would share.

Respected Contributor

Re: Creamy Chicken, shrimp, etc for puff pastry shell

[ Edited ]

I like the idea of a puff pastry shell dish with creamed chicken. My suggestion is to try checking recipe ideas from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit or New York Times websites. I bet you'll find exactly what you're looking for. 

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

chicken a la king......my mom used to make this all the time and serve it in puff pastry shells.

she also used to serve creamed tuna in them.

both of these are a real 70s throwback thing for me!

CHICKEN A LA KING

• 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1/3 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • a few dashes of white pepper
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup milk, half n half, or cream
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (works well using a rotisserie chicken)
  • 2 tablespoons diced red bell pepper (or any other color)
  • paprika to top

• Bake shells according to package directions.In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and celery in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in flour and salt and white pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  • Add chicken; heat through. Serve with puff pastry shells and top with paprika.

i am not a fan of mushrooms, although i do make this sometimes with mushrooms for company. if it is just me and the family, i sometimes substitute peas and carrots for the mushrooms. this also works well with crabmeat, especially good quality blue crab. substitute old bay seasoning for the salt.

you can also use toast points or biscuits, or even toasted croissants instead of the  puff pastry shells.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

oh.....and the chicken a la king recipe also works very well with leftover thanksgiving turkey!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

oh.....and the chicken a la king recipe also works very well with leftover thanksgiving turkey!

Such a great idea!   I used to make 'Turkey ala King' every year.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

Such a great idea!   I used to make 'Turkey ala King' every year.  Smiley Happy

We made turkey pies!  Made crusts and filled them with cooled creamed turkey and veggie mixture, made the unbaked pies and froze them then baked as needed!  Works great!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45

I LOVE your recipe cuz I prefer NOT to use a can of soup!  I'd really rather make from scratch!

Thanks so much for posting it!!

Valued Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

I like the idea of a puff pastry shell dish with creamed chicken. My suggestion is to try checking recipe ideas from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit or New York Times websites. I bet you'll find exactly what you're looking for. 

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will definitely check them out.

Valued Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@QPrincess

https://www.yummly.com/recipes/puff-pastry-chicken-creamy

Oh there are several good ones here. Thank you for taking the time to share.