Super Contributor
Looking for agood cream of potatoes soup
Respected Contributor

Re: Cream of potatoes soup

[ Edited ]

I never followed a written recipe.  I peel and boil 4-5 cut up potatoes, just barely covered in water, until soft.  Don’t drain...mash them up a bit, but still chunky, and add a package of refrigerated mashed potatoes (I use a Bob Evans brand).  Add a 16 oz. carton of half & half.  I don’t season until I serve it....salt and pepper to taste, garnish with chopped green onion, shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon....yum!

Honored Contributor

My mom used to make creamed potatoes as a side dish.  Cream of potato soup is probably very easy to find on Google.

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I never followed a written recipe.  I peel and boil 4-5 cut up potatoes, just barely covered in water, until soft.  Don’t drain...mash them up a bit, but still chunky, and add a package of refrigerated mashed potatoes (I use a Bob Evans brand).  Add a 16 oz. carton of half & half.  I don’t season until I serve it....salt and pepper to taste, garnish with chopped green onion, shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon....yum!

Close to what I do, too. Never used a recipe.

I cook potatoes in water and reserve some water after cooking to thin if needed. Maybe it's my water but my potato water can be scummy so I use chicken broth in the soup itself and a light hand on the salt. 

I add plain dry potato flakes to thicken the soup. 

Esteemed Contributor

I make this a lot (like my mom did). This makes enough for 4 people or a couple of servings for two people. It's not a fancy recipe - just something simple that I grew up with and have made for a number of years.

2 - 3 large white potatoes, peeled and diced

2 stalks celery, diced

1 diced carrot (optional)

1 1/2 cup milk (2%)

1/2 - 3/4 cup water reserved after boiling the potatoes

1 1/2 Tbsp flour

1 1/2 Tbsp butter

Salt/pepper

Chunk of Velveeta or 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cover diced potatoes, celery and optional carrot with water and cook over medium heat in large sauce pan until tender (about 10 - 12 minutes). Drain and reserve about 1/2 to 3/4 of the liquid.

Set cook vegetables and reserved water to the side.

Melt butter in large saucepan, add flour and whisk until smooth over medium heat (about a minute or less). Slowly add milk and continue to whisk until thickened - do not boil . Add optional cheese. Reduce heat and add potatoes, celery and carrots if using. Season with salt and pepper/seasoned salt or a little celery salt.

Simmer for 30 minutes. Add reserved water to thin the broth as needed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cream of potatoes soup

[ Edited ]

I got this recipe from a cook who used to work at Panera:

4 cups chicken broth

4 cups peeled potatoes cut into bite-sized cubes

1/2 tsp seasoned salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 stalks celery, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

8 oz cream cheese cut into chunks

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Saute celery and onion in a little butter.  

Boil broth, potatoes, salt, and peppers in large pot on medium heat until tender.

Smash a few potatoes with potato masher to thicken.

Add celery, onions and cream cheese and stir over low heat to melt cheese.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I am definitely not a cook so I don't know the receipe, but maybe someone else makes potatoe soup like my Mom did.  It was the best I have tasted. 

She used a homebone with a lot of the ham on it, condensed canned milk, celery, onions and potatoes.  Don't know if there was anything else, maybe butter?  Anyway, it sure suprised me when I learned most potatoe soup is potatoes, milk, butter, celery and sure not like Mom's.  Of course cheesy potatoe soup has cheese, but Mom didn't make cheesy potatoe soup.  I didn't know there was such a thing until I moved from home!  Sure miss Mom's cooking.

Honored Contributor

Two easy recipes...one stovetop, one crockpot.

Potato Soup

1  package hash browns, cube type, thaw slightly

1   cup chopped onion

1   14 oz. can chicken broth

2    cups water

Bring above to boil in large pot; then simmer 15 minutes. Then slowly add and stir...

1   can cream of celery soup

2   cups milk

1   teaspoon dry cilantro

Heat over low heat and add 4 oz of Velveeta cheese stirring until blended.  Turn to simmer until ready to serve. If desired, top with sliced green onions and bacon bits.

Crock Pot Potato Soup

1   30 oz. package hash browns, cube type

3   14 oz. cans chicken broth

1   10 oz. can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup chopped onion

Put in crock pot and cook on low 5 hours.  Add 8 oz. of cream cheese; cook 30 minutes more.  Before serving add 6 slices of crumbled cooked bacon.  Top with sliced green onions, if desired.

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I am definitely not a cook so I don't know the receipe, but maybe someone else makes potatoe soup like my Mom did.  It was the best I have tasted. 

She used a homebone with a lot of the ham on it, condensed canned milk, celery, onions and potatoes.  Don't know if there was anything else, maybe butter?  Anyway, it sure suprised me when I learned most potatoe soup is potatoes, milk, butter, celery and sure not like Mom's.  Of course cheesy potatoe soup has cheese, but Mom didn't make cheesy potatoe soup.  I didn't know there was such a thing until I moved from home!  Sure miss Mom's cooking.

@KathyM23 I'd look at "AllRecipies" and Recipies dot com.  It's highly likely you'll find your mom's soup there.  I like both sites.Smiley Happy

A lot of ladies use Pioneer Woman for more "homemade" traditional dishes too.

Frequent Contributor

My Grandmother was Lithuanian, and she made her potato soup very simply, but was it delicious.  Of course she had no recipe, but I made sure I wrote down how she made things.  She was such a great cook!  She would put cubed potatoes, diced onions carrots and celery and bay leaf in a pot. Cover with water.  She added a stick of Oleo, parsley flakes salt and pepper.  I also remember sometimes she added barley which I loved.  Then simmered it about 30-45 minutes or so.  I think people cooked veggies a long time way back when...The broth was rich, the potatoes had broken down.. I do things a little differently, no oleo of course, I use Vegan butter, but only 2-3 TBL, add a little vegetable stock, and use fresh parsley.  When I miss her I make this soup and it takes me back to her little kitchen in Northeaster Pennsylvania..and I’m 16 again...