Super Contributor

Saw a can of campbells cream of shrimp soup today at Wegmans...picked up 2...now I am looking for a recipe.

Anyone ever cook with this soup??   Ideas??

Super Contributor

Yes!  Here is a recipe for a shrimp spread, a wonderful appetizer served with crackers.  

2.   4 and 1/2 oz. cans of shrimp, drained

1 can Campbell’s Cream of Shrimp soup

1 large Cream cheese

1 pkg. Knox gelatin

3 Tbs. milk

1/4 t. Curry powder

1 cup mayonnaise 

1 cup celery, chopped fine

1/2 cup green onions, chopped fine

Method:

soften gelatin in milk

jeat soup and cream cheese, stir till creamy

stir in gelatin

add the rest and mix well

pour into mold and chill for several hours to set.

unmold as if it were a gelatin mold.  (I’ve always used a ring mold, but you could likely just let it set in any dish or container.  Maybe a pie plate would make a pretty presentation without having to unmold it)

serve with crackers or tortilla chips.

(this is incredibly delicious.  I have to be strong not to eat the whole thing by myself!!)

Super Contributor

Shrimp spread

I made this recipe for years and so did my family, friends and neighbors!  Several neighbors would always call me or come over to get it out of the mold.  I used many variations with soups, tuna, a can of crab, whatever I had around was always good.  If I had leftovers, it was my next day lunch.  It had to be the most requested recipe I had.

My mom got it from a friend of hers.

I am going to make this soon.

Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing that, Neetgal!

I’ve often wondered how cream of chicken soup would be as a substitute since it’s hard to find the cream of shrimp.  I got this recipe from my mother-in-law who didn’t like shrimp!  I’m grateful that she decided to make and serve it once because I think it’s womderful!

Respected Contributor

Some wont believe this, but Campbell's Cream of Shrimp soup used to be sold FROZEN! yes, it was a special "freezer" can, (not just a regular "soup" can), and I remember well, becasue even then, in the '60's it could be hard to find. My mother, an avid entertainer had a recipe that used it that she frequently served at her dinner parties ( it might have been some kind of lobster bisque fondue, I wish I could remember) But  I always thought of it as the "frozen soup", and was surprsed when finaly saw the non frozen variety- I guess they have technology now that the didnt THEN, LOL! (duh!)

Respected Contributor

@Twoaces wrote:

Thanks for sharing that, Neetgal!

I’ve often wondered how cream of chicken soup would be as a substitute since it’s hard to find the cream of shrimp.  I got this recipe from my mother-in-law who didn’t like shrimp!  I’m grateful that she decided to make and serve it once because I think it’s womderful!

Or maybe Cream of Celery?

Respected Contributor

That soup is hard to find.  I always made my mother's shrimp dip for parties if I was able to find it at the time.  It is one 8 oz. softened cream cheese, one can cream of shrimp soup, one small can drained small shrimp, garlic powder to taste, and about 1 tsp. lemon juice.    

I think depending on how fancy she wanted to be or how much money she had that day, she didn't always put in the can of shrimp.  It's perfectly fine without it.

Honored Contributor

I used to always see cream of shrimp soup but I haven't seen it in ages. I would use it in a dish I created using brown rice, shrimp and veggies. It's sort of like a stir fry and really good.