Honored Contributor

Cranberry (or other fruit) Coffee Cake Heaven

[ Edited ]

From Barefoot Contessa

Cranberry Christmas Cake recipe by Barefeet In The Kitchen

A few weeks ago, my friend Valerie made this to share with friends. The moment I tasted it, I asked for the recipe. Tart cranberries, sweet buttery cake and a fantastic texture all combined to basically beg me to eat another piece.

This is an absolutely perfect cake that takes very little effort to make. No icing, no topping, nothing else is necessary at all. It was reminiscent to me of a coffeecake in texture, but much lighter than the typical heavy version.

This might be the only cake I've ever tasted that basically screams holidays to me. It is pure heaven to eat. I made nine different desserts for a Thanksgiving event and this was my absolute favorite, by far. While I sent almost all the other leftover sweets home with friends and family, I saved two small pieces of this just for myself.

COOK'S NOTE: I've learned to stock up on cranberries each year. That way I will always have them in my freezer and we'll be able to enjoy this cake throughout the year.

Cranberry Christmas Cake
Yield: 16 servings
(printable recipe)

Report this ad

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour *
12 oz fresh cranberries

* Gluten Free Substitution:
1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar until slightly thickened and light in color, about 5-7 minutes. The mixture should almost double in size. The eggs work as your leavening agent in this recipe, so do not skip this step. This mixture should form a ribbon when you lift the beaters out of the bowl. Add the butter and vanilla; mix two more minutes. Stir in the flour until just combined. Add the cranberries and stir to mix throughout.

Spread in a buttered 9x13 pan. (This pan is my favorite!) Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. (I baked mine for 43 minutes.) Let cool completely before cutting into small slices. I cut mine into fairly small pieces, about 1"x2", so that they could be easily eaten at a party. Enjoy!

I'd do some glaze like they make for Krispy Cream doughnuts and put it on the side since this is more like coffee cake.  

This would also be good with other fruits such as strawberries or blueberries!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cranberry (or other fruit) Coffee Cake Heaven

Much appreciated, 

Image result for christmas thank you pics

Honored Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

Much appreciated, 

Image result for christmas thank you pics

Please let me know if you need the glaze recipe.

Valued Contributor

Looks yummy! We love cranberries..will have to do a trial run of this!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG    I initially thought I was reading your own introduction to the recipe; however, as I progressed through the recipe, I noticed insertions that didn't seem to belong.  So, for clarification, I Googled for both Ina Garten's and Barefoot Contessa's Cranberry Christmas Cake.  I cannot find a connection.

Do you mind sharing your source?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@ECBG    I initially thought I was reading your own introduction to the recipe; however, as I progressed through the recipe, I noticed insertions that didn't seem to belong.  So, for clarification, I Googled for both Ina Garten's and Barefoot Contessa's Cranberry Christmas Cake.  I cannot find a connection.

Do you mind sharing your source?

@IamMrsGI had to copy and paste in pieces from the site which was shown on a friend's FB.

Please be aware that the Barefoot Contessa does offer a glutten free opportunity which is labeled as such for the few ingriedents which would have to be exchanged.

Here it is:

http://www.barefeetinthekitchen.com/…/cranberry-christmas-c…

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  Thank you.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

@meallen616Happy to give it to you.  This is a copy cat recipe from Krispy Kreme Donuts amd can be easily whipped up when baked goods seem a little lacking.  It' perfect for coffee cakes and homemade donuts.

1 C powdered sugar

1 tsp. butter, melted

5-6 drops of vanilla

1 Tbsp. milk (plus drops) to moisten

In a medium bowl add:

powdered sugar

melted butter

vanilla

1 Tbsp milk

Stir ingredients together.

Carefully, add additional milk, a drop at a time to reach desired thickness.  (Powdered sugar melts SO quickly, control is the key here.).

This can be refrigerated, although it will thicken slightly and need a few drops of milk.

Honored Contributor

Anything with cranberries catches my attention.  I'd like to make this coffee cake, with the glaze too.