Frequent Contributor

IMG_0602.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Cranberry Salad/Relish Mold

I really like to make fresh cranberries albeit it in a mold or not, without or with jello.

I like to boil the cranberries as directly with organic sugar, add an orange or two, nuts of (your) liking. Serve warm.

Respected Contributor

@1920712 

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I love cranberry salad/relish. Years back David D. shared a cranberry recipe with us that was Joan River's favorite. I have that one, but this one also sounds really good and not too hard. Thanks again.

Frequent Contributor

@LeenyYou're very welcome. It is always on our Thanksgiving table and often Christmas too. We wouldn't be without it.

Respected Contributor

@1920712 

It's on ours too. I love to put it on biscuits and lefse. lol

@1920712 wrote:

@LeenyYou're very welcome. It is always on our Thanksgiving table and often Christmas too. We wouldn't be without it.

Esteemed Contributor

@1920712 

Every year I'd shop for the ingredients for my mom. She'd clamp the meat grinder to the edge of the countertop and crank away, making her big bowl of cranberry orange relish.

I hated the stuff!

Somewhere in my 40's my tastebuds matured and I developed an appreciation for the sweet/sour/bitter/tangy relish.

I love this stuff!

Thanks for your post @1920712 .

To me, making it with her "old hand crank sausage maker" clamped to the countertop makes it taste perfect! 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much@x Hedge   It really brings back the memories! In the old days, I'd hand crank grind the cranberries in the garage.....It made a real mess with juice all over the floor. Today I much prefer the processor with all that juice contained LOL Still it is a much requested dish in our family. Best wishes

Honored Contributor

@1920712 : My mother's recipe used raspberry jello, no celery, marshmallows and a drained 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple. Next door neighbor recipe was like what you posted but her daughter preferred ours. I use my kitchenaid food grinder for this recipe. I think the holiday table would be beautiful with both. 

Frequent Contributor

@SouthernBeeYou are so lucky to have that Kitchenaid Food grinder. Our kitchen is small and with all the other appliances, we have, we just don't have the room. I'm jealous

Honored Contributor

@1920712 :Thank you. DH loves the cranberry salad. He gifted me my first Kitchenaid mixer 20 years ago, it had extended warranty and replaced with a refurbished KA that didn't last 5 years. The next mixer another model didn't have a food grinder available. DH last Christmas purchased a bigger KA and the food grinder. He has been in panic mode trying to find fresh cranberries. He had already purchased the pecans and other ingredients. When we first got married and I put the salad on the Thanksgiving table : he looked at salad and said : "No way"- my reply ok with me because I can eat the whole thing. That evening I was eating the salad with a few slices of turkey. After I went to bed- he went in the kitchen and ate the rest and put the empty dish back in the refrigerator. After that- I always triple the recipe to make sure there is enough for me.😃