Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Cranberry-Brown Rice "Stuffing"

/><br/> <br/> <span style=We have really taken a liking to brown rice, so I'm always looking for new recipes to serve it. I spotted this recipe last week and the photo in the cookbook drew me in. The recipe says "stuffing"-I'm not sure why it's called that-I call this a wonderful side dish and a new way to serve rice. I made this last night to go along with roast beef and WOW is it ever good.

You can cook your rice ahead of time and refrigerate it so it's at the ready for you. I add whatever vegetables I have on hand to use up-this one has some chopped red bell pepper in it. I also prefer to use freshly grated orange peel as opposed to dried peel-I add the zest of 1 orange.

Since the rice was cold, and I did let the cranberries sit quite a while in the hot stock, I added a few Tablespoons more stock to the pan when I added the rice-just enough to give a little added liquid while the rice heated through. I also added an additional 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning to bump up the flavor. Pepper was all that was needed-I didn't find the need to add any salt.

Will I make this again? You bet I will---it would be a fantastic side with chicken or turkey. Into the "keepers" file it goes.....

Boy the things you find when you grab a couple cookbooks off the shelf you haven't looked at in a while.....

Carol

/><br/> <br/> <br/> <span style=CRANBERRY-BROWN RICE "STUFFING"
(Source: Walmart Family Cookbook 2006-recipe from River Rice)

1 c. brown rice OR 2 (3.5 oz. each) bags boil-in-bag brown rice
1/2 c. dried cranberries
Grated zest of 1 orange OR 1 tsp. dried orange peel
1/2 c. chicken stock (I use low sodium)
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots (may substitute onion)
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 c. toasted chopped pecans
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare rice according to package directions.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, mix cranberries, orange peel and chicken stock. Microwave on High for 2 minutes; set aside.

Heat a large saucepan over high heat; add butter. Stir in celery, shallots and poultry seasoning; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in cranberries, orange peel, chicken stock, pecans, rice and salt and pepper to taste; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes more, or until all liquid is absorbed (I add more stock by the tablespoon-just enough to add some moisture if there isn't enough left after steeping the cranberries). Sprinkle with chopped parsley. 8 servings.

/></span></span></div> <div> </div> <p> </p> <p> </p>