Respected Contributor

Re: Crab Imperial, Maryland-style

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestions, @roster .

I have a three-ring binder full of crab recipes, including about six for the dish called "Crab Imperial". which doesn't ever include fillers anyway. It's not the same food as a crab cake, which I never make at home.

I was looking for comment from people who might  routinely make Crab Imperial and whether they had ever made it without adding egg to the mayo mix.  I have always used egg in the recipe, but wanted to try it without egg, if other people  thought it worked well.

As I noted earlier, recipes seem split between using a beaten egg and not using egg at all.  The other ingredients remain just about the same, with a few other minor additions in some cases.

I know where to find recipes .  I was looking for opinions.  I'm OK with or without them, and was just curious.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1   I use the Crab Imperial recipe from Harvey's of DC which serves 2:

1/2 cup of lump crabmeat

1/4 cup of mayonnaise

1 tbsp capers (rinsed and well drained)

1/4 tsp Old Bay

Black pepper to taste (I use white pepper)

1 tsp bread crumbs for topping

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Mix the crabmeat well with the next 4 ingredients.  Split the filling evenly between 2 crab shells or ramekins.  Top with bread crumbs and bake for 20 minutes until the tops are well browned.

I have had it both ways, with and without an egg, and prefer the Harvey's Restaurant version, though either is good.  Who doesn't adore crab?  

Leaving out the egg is just another way to prepare something luscious.  By the way, I like that your recipe has dry mustard as an ingredient so will have to try that the next time I make this dish.

By the way, I just ordered a 6 oz. can of Old Bay the other day from Walmart and received it yesterday.  Price was normal--$3.64 so no gouging--and it was from them, not an outside vendor.

Happy "crabbing" to you,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435   I just copied your recipe as it sounds delicious, but is that really supposed to say just 1/2 cup of crabmeat?  Sounds like such a small amount.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1   Yes, that really is the amount.  I always just double or triple all the ingredients when I make this, especially the crab meat and mayonnaise.  I think since this is a recipe from a now defunct famous DC restaurant these amounts are what would fill the center of a cleaned out real crab shell.  I use individual ramekins.

My apologies.  I usually put such information in my notes on a recipe when I post it.  In this case, I failed to do so.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435   Thanks for the clarification and, certainly, no need to apologize!  I'm off to the food store today and will pick up the ingredients I need.  My mouth is watering as I write this.  Thanks again!  

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 I don't make this dish, but it sounds scrumptious!

Having taught Foods and Advanced Foods, I thought Egg Beaters might be of use for you or just use an egg white with the mayo and other ingredients.

Respected Contributor

I went ahead and made the dish my usual way, with a whole egg.  It turned out beauitfully and was very good.  

The jumbo lump crab that I had managed to track down at Publix, which came from the Philippines, was excellent.

I always prefer jumbo lump crab instead of the smaller lumps, although this dish can actually be made even with crab meat that is just a step above shredded, if you want a lower-priced version.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Sounds delish!  Save me a serving?  I can be there in about 10 hours!

thanks everyone for your recipes!  My sis lives in NJ right across from Delaware.

She gets some crab that is fab...in a can...called Blue something.   Sorry I am not much help.

She brought me some last time she came home for a visit.  I told her to bring it for me every time...and to come home more often!