Respected Contributor

Country Cooking: Sausage, Rice and Tomato Gravy

20181013_172901.jpg My granddaddy made tomato gravy, he put some canned diced tomatoes in a little of the sausage drippings. Cooked it a little. You can fry and egg and put on top if you like.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Country Cooking: Sausage, Rice and Tomato Gravy

Made tomato gravy many times!  Good Southern dish!

Honored Contributor

I make a tomato gravy for my meatloaf, I can eat it with a spoon!

Your pic looks so good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love a good tomato gravy over pork chops:

2 tbsp bacon grease

1 chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped celery

1 tsp minced garlic

3 tbsp flour

1 tbsp tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 8-oz can tomato sauce

1/4 tsp dried thyme leaf

1 bay leaf

Heat bacon grease over medium heat until shimmering.  Add onion, celery, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add flour and tomato paste, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.  Whisk in chicken broth, tomato sauce, thyme, and bay leaf, then bring to boil.  Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.  Remove bay leaf before serving.    

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting recipe!  Never used tomato sauce always diced tomatoes.  Didn't add celery and onion either but it surely does sound delicious!

Respected Contributor

Hi, Been looking for you. I don't know how to start a new blog on here, but been wanting to tell you, I've made your peanut brittle in the microwave 4 times. First time i made it it was a little over cooked. Decided my watts on mine maybe too much, so I dropped the time with the peanuts to 2 minutes instead of 3 or 5, and it's perfect.Beside my mailgirl, son, and hair dresser, and myself of course, I can't stay out of it. I thank you for it, now if I can print off this tomato recipe it will be next.  Again thanks

Respected Contributor

HLP, you peaked my interest. Post the peanut brittle recipe, so we all can enjoy. 😊 ❤ 😊 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Barbarainnc wrote:

HLP, you peaked my interest. Post the peanut brittle recipe, so we all can enjoy. 😊 ❤ 😊 

@Barbarainn,   this is the recipe that HLP used:

Esteemed Contributor
deepwaterdotter

Re: Looking for easy Peanut Brittle Recipe

I make this in the microwave oven:

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1 1/2 cups dry-roasted peanuts

1 tbsp butter

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp baking soda

Mix sugar and corn syrup in big microwave-proof bowl and microwave on high for 3 mins.  Stir and microwave for 2 more minutes.  Stir in peanuts and microwave until mixture is golden brown, 3-5 mins.

Stir in vanilla and butter until melted, microwave for 1 min.  Stir in baking soda.  Spread mixture onto large buttered baking sheet and cool completely.

BTW Barbarainnc, that tomato gravy looks very tasty.  I've never heard of it before but I think I am going to have it for breakfast later this a m with a fried egg as you mentioned.. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Love a good tomato gravy over pork chops:

2 tbsp bacon grease

1 chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped celery

1 tsp minced garlic

3 tbsp flour

1 tbsp tomato paste

1 cup chicken broth

1 8-oz can tomato sauce

1/4 tsp dried thyme leaf

1 bay leaf

Heat bacon grease over medium heat until shimmering.  Add onion, celery, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add flour and tomato paste, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.  Whisk in chicken broth, tomato sauce, thyme, and bay leaf, then bring to boil.  Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.  Remove bay leaf before serving    

@deepwaterdotter

Your recipe has almost every ingredient I use when making a side dish of stovetop escalloped or stewed tomatoes.  And the preparation is basically identical to yours! Instead of the tomato paste and sauce, I use canned diced tomatoes and also basil (and sometimes a bell pepper) but no  chix broth.  I don't care for the bread pieces usually added for thickening the diced tomato mixture.  I thicken mine with either flour or cornstarch and water.... umm, maybe I will use chix broth for added flavor in my slurry the next time. My stovetop version is so much quicker than baking it.  I especially like it with black eye peas, a green veggie like kale or green beans and some crusty bread--- my meatless meal.  I think I'll include the pork chops next time as you do with your tomato gravy.  

Glad you posted your recipe because I haven't prepared escalloped tomatoes in a long. long time! 

Respected Contributor

Deepwaterdotter, wasn't sure who had given who the recipe. Thanks for posting it. Yum yum 😊 ❤ 😊