Respected Contributor

Cottage Cheese Roast recipe (from Lisa Robertson)

Does anyone have this recipe with the amounts for all the ingredients? I have a recipe but it does not specify the ounce container of the cottage cheese, nor some of the other ingredients. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Contributor

Re: Cottage Cheese Roast recipe (from Lisa Robertson)

Cottage Cheese Roast

1/2 cup melted butter

5 eggs

24 oz small curd cottage cheese

1 cup chopped pecans

1 white onion diced fine

G. Washington Broth- 2 packets rich brown, 1 packet golden

7 oz original Special K- crushed

cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

I never had this before - Lisa said the G. Washington broth was essential- but I could not find it here, so I used a packet of Lipton onion soup for the seasoning. I can't compare the taste, but it was fine with the Lipton soup. Also, the first time I made it I used the whole stick of butter- I found that to be way too rich , so I omitted the butter completely the next time I made it. It was still fine for me and maybe less calories! It turns out kind of like a Kugel when it bakes nice and brown. Nice for a breakfast meal, too, like a quiche.

Valued Contributor

Do you just mix all the ingredients up, like a meatloaf, or does the Special-K go on top?

I thought I had a recipe like this from Lisa Robertson, but I can't find it. I seem to remember she posted a picture of her mothers handwritten recipe with it.

Was it called by this name when she originally posted it?

Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2015 jewelrymaven22 said:

Cottage Cheese Roast

1/2 cup melted butter

5 eggs

1 cup chopped pecans

1 white onion diced fine

I never had this before - Lisa said the G. Washington broth was essential- but I could not find it here, so I used a packet of Lipton onion soup for the seasoning. I can't compare the taste, but it was fine with the Lipton soup. Also, the first time I made it I used the whole stick of butter- I found that to be way too rich , so I omitted the butter completely the next time I made it. It was still fine for me and maybe less calories! It turns out kind of like a Kugel when it bakes nice and brown. Nice for a breakfast meal, too, like a quiche.

This recipe with the 5 eggs and cottage cheese sounds absolutely gross to me. I would never attempt to bake this roast.

Just my opinion, of course.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/11/2015 Sunshine Kate said:

Cottage Cheese Roast

1/2 cup melted butter

5 eggs

1 cup chopped pecans

1 white onion diced fine

This recipe with the 5 eggs and cottage cheese sounds absolutely gross to me. I would never attempt to bake this roast.

Just my opinion, of course.

Lisa Robertson's Mom/Family where vegetarians. I think this recipe may have been created to emulate a roast ? I think the vegetarian recipes now are geared more to enjoying the real food as it is rather than attempting to imitate meat products with vegetables.

Contributor

The recipe was on a handwritten card and called Cottage Cheese Roast

You crush the Special K and mix it into the egg mixture. I would not call it a Roast- maybe mine came out differently because I used Lipton onion soup for a seasoning.

It reminds me more of a Kugel- with egg noodles, mixed with eggs, cottage cheese etc and all baked together. When it is baked= the onions and all the seasonings make it tasty.

I am not much of a cook- LOL- but I could assemble this!

Super Contributor

The recipe was on a handwritten card and called Cottage Cheese Roast

You crush the Special K and mix it into the egg mixture. I would not call it a Roast- maybe mine came out differently because I used Lipton onion soup for a seasoning.

It reminds me more of a Kugel- with egg noodles, mixed with eggs, cottage cheese etc and all baked together. When it is baked=the onions and all the seasonings make it tasty.

I am not much of a cook- LOL- but I could assemble this!

I agree, the term "roast" is deceiving. I was wondering how, on earth, you roast cottage cheese? If it's quiche-like, that makes more sense.

Respected Contributor

....sounds like a big icky mess.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a mess to me too.
Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for your help--especially on the number of ounces of cottage cheese. I cannot find the George Washington broth mix and will use a low-sodium mix I get at whole foods instead. Could you tell me how many ounces of teaspoons or tablespoons of the GW broth mix I would need to substitute? I really would appreciate it. Thanks.