Contributor

Re: Cottage Cheese Roast recipe (from Lisa Robertson)

I don't think it sounds unappealing but the George Washington Broth Seasoning ingredients are off-putting. It is primarily salt and MSN. SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL (COLOR) AND SPICES
Trusted Contributor

On 3/12/2015 Beebee2 said:

This is a famous recipe in many communities. I didn't know about it until my neighbor brought some over for us last year; her husband was Seventh Day Adventist and this recipe originates with them and is also known as the Special K Casserole. If you Google or Printerest you will find dozens of recipes by both names.

It is absolutely delicious.

Special K Loaf

large carton cottage cheese
4 c crushed Special K cereal
5 eggs
1 c chopped pecans
3 Worthington broth packets
1 onion, chopped
1 stick butter

Combine ingredients well and put in 9 x 12 baking dish.

Bake at 325 deg F for 45 min.

Raise temp to 350 deg F and bake for additional 15 min.

I thought so! I attended a Seventh Day Adventist Church for a year or so, and nearly every Sabbath they had a potluck dinner, all vegetarian, after services. This is most likely a meat substitute, which the church is well know for, as well as being the inspiration behind modern breakfast cereals.

Respected Contributor

On 3/12/2015 CaliKat said:
On 3/11/2015 Writer with Flair said:

Thanks so much for your help--especially on the number of ounces of cottage cheese. I cannot find the George Washington broth mix and will use a low-sodium mix I get at whole foods instead. Could you tell me how many ounces of teaspoons or tablespoons of the GW broth mix I would need to substitute? I really would appreciate it. Thanks.

Writer with Flair,

The George Washington broth packets are one ounce each. If you can't find them in a store, and want to order them, Amazon sells them. Here is the link to the single packs from Amazon. I don't know how to post a link you can click on, but you can copy and paste this.

http://www.amazon.com/Washingtons-Seasoning-Broth-Golden-Ounce/dp/B00168AAWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

CaliKat,

Thanks so much for giving the number of ounces in each pack. I am trying to limit my added sodium content in foods, so I will be using a low-sodium broth/bouillon mix ("Better than Bouillom") I got at Whole Foods instead of the George Washington one Lisa R. uses.

Thanks again for your help.

Respected Contributor

MY G Washington packets say .13 oz each.... and when prepared me a 6 oz cup of broth-i m looking at one right now...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing. Weellll......This picture looks delicious, good ingredients all. Can't wait to dig in. I live in Ca. but I have never seen Washington Sauce, so, I will improvise. Cottage cheese is great in lasagna, with spice and garlic AND eggs. I worked in an Italian restaurant in Olean, New York, awhile back. This was their old family "secret" receipe. Better and less$$ than ricotta. Some of these posters are b..........s.(fill in the blank). If you see any more interesting receipts, post!
Respected Contributor

ritasNo1fan- if you have a Stater Bros near you they carry it, so does Walmart if they are big enough! I am in So Cal- foothills of he San Gabriel Valley- fire alerts today!

Honored Contributor

For those preferring vegetarian cuisine, this looks like a good recipe! Thank you!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Judaline said:

What's the point??

It was a movie from the early 1970's about Oblio and his dog Arrow, living in the Pointless Forest, featuring the Harry Nillson song "Me and My Arrow"

Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Mothertrucker said:

MY G Washington packets say .13 oz each.... and when prepared me a 6 oz cup of broth-i m looking at one right now...

Thanks so much for this information on the GW broth mix.

I had bought a box of Special K to use in this recipe and my husband snacked it away before I could use it. Oh, well. There are a lot worse things he could be snacking on, right? Since he wolfed that Special K right down, maybe it means he will like the casserole once I get around to making it.

Respected Contributor

Ok, I made this- I made a 1/2 recipe using 3 eggs and 2 packets G Washington- and subbed cornflakes for Special K..

I liked it- and for those of you who think sounds really weird and gross, don't read any further....here is my twist to it- I ate it with Cranberry sauce and thought that really tasted good!

I thought it needed something and I thought of making a gravy for it, but the cranberry sauce really hit the spot...