Super Contributor

Re: Cottage Cheese Roast recipe (from Lisa Robertson)

This is a famous recipe in many communities. I didn't know about it until my neighbor brought some over for us last year; her husband was Seventh Day Adventist and this recipe originates with them and is also known as the Special K Casserole. If you Google or Printerest you will find dozens of recipes by both names.

It is absolutely delicious.

Special K Loaf

large carton cottage cheese
4 c crushed Special K cereal
5 eggs
1 c chopped pecans
3 Worthington broth packets
1 onion, chopped
1 stick butter

Combine ingredients well and put in 9 x 12 baking dish.

Bake at 325 deg F for 45 min.

Raise temp to 350 deg F and bake for additional 15 min.

Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 Chrystaltree said:

....sounds like a big icky mess.

It's rare I agree with you, but I don't think I'd want to eat it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/12/2015 CaliKat said:
On 3/11/2015 Writer with Flair said:

Thanks so much for your help--especially on the number of ounces of cottage cheese. I cannot find the George Washington broth mix and will use a low-sodium mix I get at whole foods instead. Could you tell me how many ounces of teaspoons or tablespoons of the GW broth mix I would need to substitute? I really would appreciate it. Thanks.

Writer with Flair,

The George Washington broth packets are one ounce each. If you can't find them in a store, and want to order them, Amazon sells them. Here is the link to the single packs from Amazon. I don't know how to post a link you can click on, but you can copy and paste this.

http://www.amazon.com/Washingtons-Seasoning-Broth-Golden-Ounce/dp/B00168AAWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

I can't quite read the box, but it says those boxes for 2.99 contain either 6 or 8? .13oz packets.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/12/2015 beckyb1012 said:
On 3/12/2015 lory said:
On 3/12/2015 jewelrymaven22 said:

This is the first time I posted on a recipe thread- How can civilized<br /> ladies turn this into a hateful discussion- Gross, Icky mess, Disgusting, Prize for the worst recipe.

Don't worry Ladies- I will NEVER post here again. I know all posts on QVC Trash people,

hosts, QVC in general. I did not know that RECIPE threads brought out all the<br /> "tasteless comments" pun intended.

Well I appreciate you posting this recipe. I think is sounds very interesting and I'm going to give it a try.

I went back and read through again twice and did not see where the thread turned ugly. Not a big fan of cottage cheese myself I wonder do you mean those type of posts? Come back soon if you can we love to share here.

It got pretty ugly, IMO, when posters started saying things like "the award for the worst recipe" ,"icky mess", etc. Not very nice.

jewelrymaven..I'm sorry your first recipe share went like this. Most of us are very nice here on Recipe Swap. I hope you will post again.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 tiny 2 said:

Here is a photo of it from her facebook page.

'I just made my favorite thing in the whole world, my Moms vegetarian casserole. I could eat the whole thing myself! Takes me back to my childhood :)'

There are other recipes called this on the net. Her's looks like lasagna, not like a meat loaf.

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2015 betteb said:
On 3/12/2015 lory said:

This is the first time I posted on a recipe thread- How can civilized<br /> ladies turn this into a hateful discussion- Gross, Icky mess, Disgusting, Prize for the worst recipe.

Don't worry Ladies- I will NEVER post here again. I know all posts on QVC Trash people,

hosts, QVC in general. I did not know that RECIPE threads brought out all the<br /> "tasteless comments" pun intended.

Well I appreciate you posting this recipe. I think is sounds very interesting and I'm going to give it a try.

I went back and read through again twice and did not see where the thread turned ugly. Not a big fan of cottage cheese myself I wonder do you mean those type of posts? Come back soon if you can we love to share here.

It got pretty ugly, IMO, when posters started saying things like "the award for the worst recipe" ,"icky mess", etc. Not very nice.

jewelrymaven..I'm sorry your first recipe share went like this. Most of us are very nice here on Recipe Swap. I hope you will post again.

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2015 Lynneuk said: Good grief, I think this wins the prize for worst recipe I've ever heard.lol.

I agree - it doesn't look appetizing at all. An icky mess is the PERFECT description!

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2015 betteb said:
On 3/12/2015 lory said:

Super Contributor

This is the first time I posted on a recipe thread- How can civilized
ladies turn this into a hateful discussion- Gross, Icky mess, Disgusting, Prize for the worst recipe.

hosts, QVC in general. I did not know that RECIPE threads brought out all the
"tasteless comments" pun intended.

Please, do not let this push you away. I think this was probably more about seeing the Lisa Robertson name on the thread title than anything else. Any post with LR seems to out the monster in some people.

Respected Contributor

jewelrymaven22- I [posted that macaroni salad for you- I thought your recipe sounded good- but then I grew up on kugel, quiche and such, and as a former caterer, I am pretty adventuresome when it comes to combining ingredients...