Honored Contributor

Re: Costco Complete Thanksgiving Meal

A local restaurant I like sent me an email a couple of weeks ago.  They were taking reservations for a Thanksgiving dinner to serve  to 6 to 8 people for $350.  Extra charge if you want it delivered instead of picking it up.

Just went to check the price for accuracy and it is Sold Out!

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

At Costco I saw a complete  cooked and  refrigerated turkey dinner packaged in a huge see-through container in the meat department.  Price was around $29.00 and it looked like it could easily serve 4 hungry adults.

I was hungry and sorely tempted to buy it and eat it that night  The only reason I gave up the idea was the size of my fridge vs. the size of the food container--it wouldn't fit,  plus  we would have  too much left over.  Each part of the meal did have its own separate container, however, and could be separated from the others.

The meal included  a  large cooked turkey breast, green beans, mashed potatoes, dresssing, cups of cranberry sauce and a bag of gravy.  

Just a hint if you are a Costco member and don't want to cook.

Thanks for this @novamc1 !  I had heard about them but couldn't find a whole lot of information on them but I would definitely love to give them a try.  I already have my stuff for Thanksgiving but hopefully they'll repeat the offer for Christmas as I love all things Costco!  

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

A local restaurant I like sent me an email a couple of weeks ago.  They were taking reservations for a Thanksgiving dinner to serve  to 6 to 8 people for $350.  Extra charge if you want it delivered instead of picking it up.

Wow. 

Here is what I spent:

21 lb turkey 13.50

sausage cornbread dressing around 4.50 (for an entire pan)

mashed potatoes est. 3.00

corn 1.50

rolls 2.00

sweet potatoes 2.00

cranberry jelly 1.50

2 pies 6.00

34.00 Total and that's an estimate, plus we get all the leftovers unlike if you eat at a restaurant.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 

Here is what the meal consisted of:

12-13 pound brined turkey 
2 qts. "Pommes Gras" mashed potatoes with sweet cream butter
2 qts. Essential bread Italian Sausage Stuffing with roasted mirepoix vegetable
Large container Fire Roasted Root Vegetables including brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, baby carrots, Cipollini onions and parsnips.
2 qts Smoked Apple and Sage gravy
1 qt. Fig cranberry relish with mission figs, orange and spices
Choice of Caesar or Mixed Green salad for 8 people
One house made Pecan Pie

Sounds good to me but I will be having Maine lobster and lemon scented risotto.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I bought it. Least expensive one in the case at $26.50.

1/2 turkey breast on the bone and green beans were NOT pre-cooked. Stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes were. Also included 2 small containers of cranberry sauce

I cooked the turkey, some of the beans and heated up the potatoes & stuffing for dinner last night. Outstanding, as I would expect from Costco. 

I picked up containers to refrigerate or freeze the remaining food in individual serving size portions. This year, as always. I will be a guest at Thanksgiving dinner. I hate that there are no leftovers to enjoy all weekend while baking and decorating- this year I have plenty to enjoy before and after the holiday. I should get at least 4 and possibly as many as 6 meals from this "dinner". FYI: these meals are made daily. Once they sell out for the day, that's it until the following day. I expect these will not be around later in the day, especially later this week.

Of course I added the famous $6.00 pumpkin pie to complete the menu.

Highly recommend these and the $30.00 outdoor evergreen planter that will sit outside my garage until spring. I hit Costco on Friday afternoon, before it gets completely crazy there this week.

@queendiva @Question about the stuffing and mashed potatoes. Were they ready to just 

have a couple of portions scooped out of them and reheated in the microwave or did they have to be heated for a long time in the oven? Were they real mashed potatoes?

How did the gravy taste?

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne @Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Which meal is this referring toA.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D : Yes- real mashed potatoes. The stuffing and potatoes just needed to be reheated by the portion- microwave or oven. The turkey gravy, while a bit thin, had real pieces of turkey in it. I will likely need extra gravy for my leftover meals, some of which I will eat as sandwiches instead of dinners (minus the potatoes and green beans) There were only 2 small containers of whole berry cranberry sauce- I guess they figure that not everyone is a fan or can supplement with their favorite jellied sauce from the can. I made my own to add.

Costco also sold large sides of mashed potatoes, mashed sweets and mac & cheese. I bought the mashed sweets to share for Thanksgiving dinner and had more than enough left over for me. Good enough to save me the effort of making my own, which I usually do. Reviews on the mac & cheese have not been great; I would pass on that.

Maybe they will bring this back for Christmas & Channukah? If so I think you can't go wrong, especially if you want a pretty complete turkey dinner for 1-4 people and don't want the chore of cooking or the expense of takeout. Under $30.00. A fast food burger, fries and drink costs more per serving than the Costco turkey dinner.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Our local Italian restaurant had a Thanksgiving Day pick up...full meal for 4 was $99.00. Included appetizer and dessert. You added a tip and chose your pick up time.

Honored Contributor

I saw that too and kick myself for not trying it!!! It looked great--next time!!!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@DiAnne @Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Which meal is this referring toA.

@Mindy D 

A local Seattle area restaurant doing take out for Thanksgivingl