Honored Contributor

I wanted to post this delicious soup recipe I cut and paste from somewhere! Please forgive me but I can't find the source...could very well have been here!! A big thank you to the originator! I have made it several times and put my notes where applicable. Enjoy!

St. Patty's Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)

1 large onion, halved and sliced

4 ribs celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced crosswise

3 carrots, shredded (1-1/2 cups)

1 bay leaf

1 small head savoy cabbage—quartered, cored and shredded *I just used a whole bag of shredded from Wegmans

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 12 ounce bottle beer

1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth **I USED 2) 32 OZ CHICK BROTH, needed more broth in my opinion but that is totally optional!!

1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes **I used 2) 14oz cans Hunts fire roasted tomatoes

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce **I PUT IN AT LEAST 4!

1 1/2pounds corned beef, chopped **I ONLY NEEDED 1 LB-maybe 1-1/4 was plenty

3/4cup white rice **I used 1 cup

Pumpernickel or rye bread and butter, to pass around the table

directions

In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and bay leaf and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cabbage by the handful, season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the beer and boil until reduced, 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes and the 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Add the rice. Bring the stoup to a boil, then simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. **My rice took at least 20 min.

Add the corned beef just before the rice is done.

Season with salt, pepper and more Worcestershire sauce; serve the stoup in shallow bowls. Pass the bread and butter around the table.

**WE THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE GOOD W/ SHREDDED SWISS ON TOP!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup

RespectLife!

This sounds wonderful! I just got back from the store and purchased 2 corned beef briskets and can't wait to make this! We are not having our St. Pat's dinner until the following weekend to allow one of our daughters to be with all of us so I should have left overs to make this soup! Thank you so much for sharing this and agree, I think Swiss shreds over the top would take this over the top! Maybe a sprinkling of croutons made from leftover soda bread or rye bread topping the soup but under that cheese.........?! You have the attention of my Irish roots!

May your kilt be short enough to do a jig, but long enough to hide your Lucky Charms!

St Patricks Day Betty Boop

Honored Contributor

Re: Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup

LOL...that Irish saying is so funny! Thanks for the smile and laugh!! Good one!